Are D’Addario strings easier to play?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I fancied a change in strings so have put a set of D’Addarios on my LP, previously on EB. They feel a lot different under the fingers and feel much lighter. Bends are easier but it feels I have to play harder to get them to sing...

They’re the same gauge and I’m in the same tuning. Anyone experienced anything similar?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Not convinced they are to be honest - new strings generally feel ‘slinkier’ In my experience. 

They’ll certainly maintain a usable sound much longer than EBs though....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    I think most brands have their own feel and
    my great string journey lead me through many of them back to D’Addario 10s. They seem to
    suit how I play best, no science just a gut feeling 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I had used the normal D'Addarios for a while then quite recently I got in to Elixir coated strings and enjoyed them for a while. When I got a guitar back from a fret job it had been strung with normal D'Addarios and I realised I actually prefer them to the coated so went back.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    I wouldn't say they're 'easier', but I definitely prefer the feel of D'addarios over anything else I've tried...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    EBs are designed for the player who strings up every day for a gig needing them to tune up almost instantly, and who writes them down against tax. Dean Markleys or d'Addarios seem to be made for the player who wants a week's worth of private practice plus a weekend gig out of them, and who doesn't mind if they take a few hours playing-in time.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    Apart from Gibson Brite Wires, pretty much anything *sounds* better than EB strings. As for feel, I always found EBs to be a bit floppy and lacking 'bounce' for want of a better word. They aren't as rough-feeling as Rotos but they do have a distinctive feel to the wound strings.
    I went on a string odyssey and found I preferred D'Addarios - I kill strings very quickly due to the pH of my sweat, so Elixrs are brilliant for lasting a long time but I'm not a fan of the sound (especially their acoustic strings). D'Addarios are consistently good for me - just be wary of fake strings, as they suck ass.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

D'Addario definitely last longer than EB.  That's the main advantage of them for me.  They are very consistent as well.  I don't think I've ever had a bad string from D'Addario.  I tried another brand that gets a lot of love on here, and I got 3 sets where one of the strings was defective, and wouldn't intonate properly.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I like the coloured ball ends
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I’ve been an EB guy for years.. I remember trying some d’adds a while back and I can’t remember what the outcome was.. 

Feel like I might have to give them another go next time! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    I like the coloured ball ends
    Me too!
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    i like d them but cant stand the way they are packaged, two stings intertwined. for this reason i go with ernies.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    i like d them but cant stand the way they are packaged, two stings intertwined. for this reason i go with ernies.
    If you order a custom set then you get them all individually packaged :)

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I see this complaint a lot. Can I ask what problem that actually causes?

Want to clarify I'm sincerely asking, I'm sure it must be problematic, I just don't know why.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Never really liked Ernie Balls. I kept trying them as my mates used them, but just never got on with them
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    thegummy said:

Want to clarify I'm sincerely asking, I'm sure it must be problematic, I just don't know why.
    Its not too bad when theyre intertwined properly, ie they basically unwind like a normal string would but at the end you’ve got two.. 

My gripes with it was that then I have to find somewhere to put the spare string while I’m stringing one up.. Bedroom player and all, theres the dirty ass floor or my sweaty ass bed lmfao! 

I have issues.... 

The real issue for me was, sometimes theyre not neatly wrapped around each other so it becomes a tangled mess and I end up with two strings tangled and in my impatience I pull them which makes it worse and could kink the strings in places.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    I don't know about being easier to play but DD's I have found last a bit longer, and for some reason feel chunkier? I am a long time EB user and I find they're brighter for about 2-3 weeks then they go all dull but I can live with that. I am a DD user for acoustic strings but all electrics are strung with EB's.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    crunchman said:

D'Addario definitely last longer than EB.  That's the main advantage of them for me.  They are very consistent as well.  I don't think I've ever had a bad string from D'Addario.  I tried another brand that gets a lot of love on here, and I got 3 sets where one of the strings was defective, and wouldn't intonate properly.

I have had a few dodgy sets in the past, but they are still the best choice as far as I am concerned
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    thegummy said:

probably just my clumsiness but i never found they came un-intertwined easily and unless you were replacing both strings (usually the case) id have to re-roll up the other one. admittidly i only tried a few times. Judging by the popularity of d'darios it must be only a few like me who have the problem so im tempted to retry them again
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I had some d'Addarios on 8" plastic reels. You were supposed to be able to pull one free, but you always ended up pulling more than one at a time (especially wound ones) and the whole reel would lock up. I'm NEVER buying them like that again.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I prefer the feel and sound of EB. Every few months I try Daddario again and still end up going back to EB. I think there’s a tension difference that benefits me. I’ve also been told that the tin content is different when I spoke to Daddario about why the plain strings start to feel matted.

ive never understood the long lasting argument though. I’m not made of money but in the absolute worse case scenario that you feel you want to change them maybe twice a month or something, they are only £7.