Are D’Addario strings easier to play?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    No.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I've used EBs since I started playing (in 84), until last year.

Last year I felt something happened to EBs, they just seemed to take forever to stretch and just didn't sound that good anymore, the window of them sounding decent became very, very small.

So I switched to D'Adds and very happy, they last forever, only take a few stretches to stabilise and whilst they maybe have less of a 'new string' sound, they seem to retain a steady tone much longer.

Packaging is a bit marmite, but once you're used to it - it's not a thing for me

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I use both EBs and D'addarios... the D'addarios are definitely a bit easier imo. I put them on my 25.5 guitars and EBs on my L.P. It balances the change over a bit at gigs. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I use both EBs and D'addarios... the D'addarios are definitely a bit easier imo. I put them on my 25.5 guitars and EBs on my L.P. It balances the change over a bit at gigs. 
    Givent the longer life, personally I'd just go for slightly heavier D'Addarios.  The do "half" gauges these days.  If you use 10s on the 25.5" guitars, use 10.5s on the LP.
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    I don't feel any difference between strings except size. I can play fast regardless of its Ernie Ball or Fender bullets.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
  • I recognise that this isn't a problem 99% of players have, but as a blind guitar player, DDs cause me issues because two strings are stored together. It means that I cannot tell B and G apart very easily, or B and E sometimes, depending on the day. The EBs are packaged separately and in order, so you just determine which is the thickest, keep the little packages in order and string up. Not so with DD. Shame as I do prefer the sound of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    Might have to give dadds a try...in this weather and acidic sweat I’m chewing through ernies in about 5 days with 2 hours a day.

might be nonesense but I did hear daddarios are wound with a higher tension thus less slinky, anyone can comment on this?
  • whenever I've tried D'Addarios I seem to get many more string breakages.

I stick with Ernie Balls 
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    I put a set of EBs on my main guitar, they've dulled within a couple of weeks. Going back to DD asap. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I put a set of EBs on my main guitar, they've dulled within a couple of weeks. Going back to DD asap. 
    I'm surprised they took that long. They're usually knackered after 1 gig
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I'm surprised they took that long. They're usually knackered after 1 gig
    I can get 2-3 gigs out of a new set of EB's, after that they need to be changed.