The photography thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZ said:
    I don't have any lenses of my own yet, everything I've used has been company equipment. So I'm kinda starting from scratch in that regard. Just can't afford to drop all that money on an A73 (or a GH5) til I establish whether or not it's going to pay off in the long run. 

Edit - the original old A7 looks to be a bargain right now! Think that might be the way to go for me. Don't really need something that shoots 4k yet so I can save a bit of money there, and the footage looks great from it :)

I have shot with the Panasonic g80 and it's absolutely amazing, stomps all over my nikon D7200. Stills are not as nice but on balance I'd say it's a better camera... 

Oh, poor battery life - something the newer Sony cameras have remedied. 

I'm waiting for the Nikon mirror less..  It's finally happening  @RaymondLin I may not jump to Sony after all :) (although we'll see how good the Nikon actually is...) 
    I used a GX80 and it’s a superb camera, especially with the Leica Pana 25mm 1.4

my can’t be arsed faffing about camera is currently a Panasonic FZ1000 and that is also superb, the speed is amazing, 4k video also amazing and the IQ and detail for a 1 inch sensor is pretty baffling how good it is. I have some A3 prints and you wouldn’t think they had come from a 1 inch sensor bridge camera.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    Who do you guys use the get your stuff printed? I assume online service is the best way to go as I’m not purchasing a printer. 

Just want to print a few of my shots off to see how they actually look on paper. 
    How very rock and roll
  • Who do you guys use the get your stuff printed? I assume online service is the best way to go as I’m not purchasing a printer. 

Just want to print a few of my shots off to see how they actually look on paper. 

For pro quality, I use SAAL digital in Germany as their profiles are utterly consistent with print results  There is a British company I used to use but I can't remember the name ..  They were also absolutely fabulous but have fewer options than SAAL. 

For snap shots  I used photobox. They do not offer print profiles or any kind of professional service, but I had a 2 foot poster print from them that I had edited and proofed to SRGB and it was very good.

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    Thank you
    How very rock and roll
  • Never had a problem with johnewright for printing... especially when having them foam mounted for local gallery as they do discounts and deliver them to the gallery direct.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    TTBZ said:
    I don't have any lenses of my own yet, everything I've used has been company equipment. So I'm kinda starting from scratch in that regard. Just can't afford to drop all that money on an A73 (or a GH5) til I establish whether or not it's going to pay off in the long run. 

Edit - the original old A7 looks to be a bargain right now! Think that might be the way to go for me. Don't really need something that shoots 4k yet so I can save a bit of money there, and the footage looks great from it :)

I have shot with the Panasonic g80 and it's absolutely amazing, stomps all over my nikon D7200. Stills are not as nice but on balance I'd say it's a better camera... 

I'm waiting for the Nikon mirror less..  It's finally happening  @RaymondLin I may not jump to Sony after all :) (although we'll see how good the Nikon actually is...) 
    Let's hope it'll be good.  The question isn't whether it will be a good system, but the question is how many generations before they catch up with Sony.  Currently Nikon arguebly makes the best DSLR on the market with the D850,  But as a first generation Mirrorless, the chances are they are not going to nail it out of the gate and number of native lenses will be limited.

The 2nd thing is that Nikon doesn't really have the history of making 100% reliable cameras, almost every DSLR out recently I've known they have had a call back for 1 thing or the other.  I don't remember Canon having the same issues with any of the 5D that i've had.  So their first gen mirrorless might be a bit BETA, especially considering that sneak peek shows a body without even a logo, that shows the moulding isn't even 100% finalised, i would be SHOCKED if that camera will be out before Christmas 2019.  My impression is they put out that sneak peek to stop the floods of users dumping their gear and moving to Sony, which is understandable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Who do you guys use the get your stuff printed? I assume online service is the best way to go as I’m not purchasing a printer. 

DS Colour Labs for prints.

Loxley Colour for albums and some prints. (need to registered, more for trade/professional)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    TTBZ said:

Let's hope it'll be good.  The question isn't whether it will be a good system, but the question is how many generations before they catch up with Sony.  Currently Nikon arguebly makes the best DSLR on the market with the D850,  But as a first generation Mirrorless, the chances are they are not going to nail it out of the gate and number of native lenses will be limited.

The 2nd thing is that Nikon doesn't really have the history of making 100% reliable cameras, almost every DSLR out recently I've known they have had a call back for 1 thing or the other.  I don't remember Canon having the same issues with any of the 5D that i've had.  
    The 5d mk 1 did have a design issue with the mirror mounting where the mirror could potentially drop down. Canon did deal with it really well though, mine was sorted out under recall in 2014, even though the camera was already 6 years older that point. Otherwise, yup, they’re all pretty bombproof. 
  • TTBZ said:

The 2nd thing is that Nikon doesn't really have the history of making 100% reliable cameras, almost every DSLR out recently I've known they have had a call back for 1 thing or the other.  I don't remember Canon having the same issues with any of the 5D that i've had.  So their first gen mirrorless might be a bit BETA, especially considering that sneak peek shows a body without even a logo, that shows the moulding isn't even 100% finalised, i would be SHOCKED if that camera will be out before Christmas 2019.  My impression is they put out that sneak peek to stop the floods of users dumping their gear and moving to Sony, which is understandable.

Wisdom awarded - I'm nervously excited 

I hope they are not rushing it, but Sony has refined to a point of professional quality. I tried an a7iii in John Lewis and was absolutely amazed at the focus speed and accuracy of a slow kit lens in poor light. Much nicer to hand hold too - I have small hands... 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    TTBZ said:

Do you think the G80 is better than the original A7? Or am I reading your post wrong?
    boogieman said:
    TTBZ said:

The 2nd thing is that Nikon doesn't really have the history of making 100% reliable cameras, almost every DSLR out recently I've known they have had a call back for 1 thing or the other.  I don't remember Canon having the same issues with any of the 5D that i've had.  
    The 5d mk 1 did have a design issue with the mirror mounting where the mirror could potentially drop down. Canon did deal with it really well though, mine was sorted out under recall in 2014, even though the camera was already 6 years older that point. Otherwise, yup, they’re all pretty bombproof. 

Never had the 5D, I went from the 30D to 5D2, 5D3 and then 5D4.  Never had any problems with any of them.  The LCD don’t flake like the Sony, there are never oils on sensor, no light leaks, camera don’t lock up, battery life always good.  I guess the reason for their always behind a gen tech may be because they spend a long time doing testing and when it comes out, it is the best version that it can be.  I don’t really believe that their R&D is that far behind Sony.  The other thing Sony have an advantage of is although Sony has 3 lines of bodies, ignoring the A9 that came out last year, previously they do the A7R (high res 42mp), A7 (medium res 24mp), A7S (12mp).  They release them staggered at about a year apart and with each gen they change more than just sensor, they treat each one as a new product with sensors, batteries, AF etc.   So annually they are getting feedback and update it with each new release.  This almost remove their need to having to release much firmware updates like Fuji did* 

Canon’s structure of bodies have a much much wider gap, it’s like 5 years between each 5D generations, in 5 years the A7 went from A7 to A7R, A7S, A7RII, A72, A7S2, A9, A7RIII and A7III.  There was like a 6 months gap between the A6300 to the A6500.   

If Canon only releasing bodies once every 5 years for their top end stuff, they are getting much less feedback from their users, only getting what users wants from seeing what others have.

*Fuji is the same, the X-T1 when it first came out to the end was a different camera, it was beta and the fixed a lot of things with firmware.

• TTBZ said:
    TTBZ said:

Do you think the G80 is better than the original A7? Or am I reading your post wrong?

I think yes - the a7 has a great sensor and is no doubt an excellent camera, but despite the small sensor you'll get better battery life (still not amazing , better video, much much MUCH better autofocus and (I think) in body stabilisation.

It's a solid little camera, really fun to use and compact. The a7 will have better photos but it's not nice to use... And if it ain't nice to use you won't use it.

My nikon is big enough I tend not to carry it - so it's sort of wasted a bit. It's why I really want to go mirrorless. Yes, the lenses are still big but the bodies are so much smaller and less... Camera-ey
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Cool that sounds promising for the G80, not arsed about stills and if the Sony is fiddly to use then I'm not so interested!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited July 2018
    Re printing - dsc colour labs for cheap. Loxley for posh. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Lens GAS is real!! I couldn't help myself and have ordered a Sigma 105mm macro lens, now I'm sorted for the kind of photography I want to do, I would say the spending is done but I've now seen macro ring flashes and am curious as to whether I need one for my macro photography, are they worth the spend? I'm guessing I'm going to need one at some point.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    zepp76 said:
    Lens GAS is real!! I couldn't help myself and have ordered a Sigma 105mm macro lens, now I'm sorted for the kind of photography I want to do, I would say the spending is done but I've now seen macro ring flashes and am curious as to whether I need one for my macro photography, are they worth the spend? I'm guessing I'm going to need one at some point.
    No it’s not entitely essential, you can make your own macro diffusers to fit a regular flashgun. It’s worth you joining the talkphotography forum, there’s a whole subsection on macro stuff there, including posts by guys who make their own macro lighting rigs from cardboard, tinfoil and milk cartons. They get some stunning results from a simple set up. 

Also, once you’ve been a member for a certain amount of time and posts you’ll get access to the classifieds. Then the gassing can really begin.  :)
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    zepp76 said:
    You wait until you get an irresistible itch for a full frame body. You’ll have the pleasure of buying most of your lenses all over again (currently doing that one myself) :D
  • boogieman said:
    zepp76 said:
    No it’s not entitely essential, you can make your own macro diffusers to fit a regular flashgun. It’s worth you joining the talkphotography forum, there’s a whole subsection on macro stuff there, including posts by guys who make their own macro lighting rigs from cardboard, tinfoil and milk cartons. They get some stunning results from a simple set up. 

Also, once you’ve been a member for a certain amount of time and posts you’ll get access to the classifieds. Then the gassing can really begin.  :)

Absolutely. Ring flashes are silly money, too - much much smarter to get (for similar money) a pair of yongnuo wireless speedlights and a wireless radio trigger for them. 

It won't give a ring flash look but it'll do the trick for most normal macro. The ring flashes are more useful if you are using "proper" macro lenses that usually start at 1:1 and then magnify from there. These are usually reversed lenses or extension tubes. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    soma1975 said:
    There is a book I recommend everyone trying to improve called Understanding Exposure. Its excellent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FEFS5E
    @soma1975  I've read the book and have to say you're right, it's excellent! I have a much clearer idea as to what I'm doing now, I couldn't put the book down once I started it, it's written in a really easy to understand manner. Thank you for the recommendation.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Good stuff glad it helped :)
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.