Thorpy Peacekeeper

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849

I'm well aware that @ThorpyFX doesnt need any more flattery from this forum, I’m also aware that advocating fewer pedals is likely to be unpopular round these here parts, but sod it, here goes anyway....

So, recently after pissing about with my pedal board I plugged straight into my amp - Yerasov GTA15 (the black one, not the brown horror) home settings - for the first time in ages and loved the tone. Decided then and there to reduce the number of pedals from 12 to 6 or less and go for the best quality to retain as much tone as possible.

Kept my @Magnetic_Effects White Atom (obviously) but everything else went except for the Boss Tuner. Picked up a Strymon Flint and a Timeline which pretty much covers everything I need regarding delay, reverb and tremolo, and have quality analogue through signals.

I was running the DOD Looking Glass for light overdrive, but I found it slightly noisy at some settings so snapped up a Peacekeeper off the classifieds to see if that helped. Now running - Guitar - Peacekeeper - White Atom - Timeline - Flint - Amp

So, the Peacekeeper. Firstly, it's totally silent. Secondly, it does exactly what I want it to do, responds incredibly well to dynamic playing and gives a little boost / break up / drive as directed with a bit more dig or volume. Very, very controllable, it feels like a tool to drive the amp rather than a ‘voiced’ drive, if that makes sense. 

The Volume and Gain setting work really well together – this might sound obvious, but drive pedals I have played in the past seem to have a sweet spot which doesn’t always suit the guitar or environment. These are just simple to dial in and adjust to taste. The EQ side has Treble / Bass and Presence and just does the job superbly without any unwanted noise which means I spend more time playing and less time pissing about trying to get the sound I had yesterday.

Bravo Thorpy and apologies for not buying a new one!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Had a go on Fuengi's pedalboard last week.  I was really surprised how little flavour the peacekeeper added was just like the amp and guitar with a small amount of break-up, exactly what I like in a pedal.  Was slightly disappointed not to leave with it but he didn't leave me on my own with it once : )

As for the Strymon and Timeline's - have never played pedals like that before, I can never get those, my guitar playing would reduce to turning everything on, hitting one note and playing with those two pedals for an hour!
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    munckee said:
    Had a go on Fuengi's pedalboard last week.  I was really surprised how little flavour the peacekeeper added was just like the amp and guitar with a small amount of break-up, exactly what I like in a pedal.  Was slightly disappointed not to leave with it but he didn't leave me on my own with it once : )

Ha! You thought it was Velcro but I've bolted it down!  ;)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6119
    tFB Trader
    I am really pleased you like it, basically all the observations you've made are what we were shooting for. I wanted the peacekeeper to be the most versatile low gainer around, its possible to get all sorts of sounds out of it from klon style, to timmy, to KOT.... its all in there and loads besides.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scovell001scovell001 Frets: 60
    Hey Adrian/Fuengi/Munckee - glad your all loving the Peacekeeper - as you may know I have Adrian's original pre-launch version of this pedal (exactly the same but in a green box).

Its a 'really great' pedal & I was interested in your comments as the Yerasov GTA15 is an EL84 amp & I wonder if this pedal just loves EL84 based amps.

I originally had the Vox Ac15, then moved to the Bassbreaker 15 which my god sounds 'amazing' with this pedal, then I had the VOX AC4HW1 for a short while (hummed like an SOB) - again sounded unreal with this amp (really vox owners get this pedal) - I've now moved onto the Lazy J20.

I would say, through the Lazy J - I notice the pedal slightly more, you can feel it add a little bit of shoulder to the sound when presence is used, whereas with the EL84 amps it was as in a word, incredible ! like a direct extension of the amp itself. 

I would say it sat better with the above amps slightly better than with the J - just interested in how anyone else has found it.

I've got the Cruiser Deuce here as well & funnily enough, I haven't stacked the 2 together yet (despite having them for quite a while).

This isn't a negative against this awesome pedal, it was just an observation & I wondered how others have found it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    @munckee used it through his Fender Champ also... 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Fuengi said:
    @munckee used it through his Fender Champ also... 
    Yup tried it on silverface mode and 5f1 and sounded great on both.  Can't remember if it added any more flavour than the Yerasov but I don't remember thinking that at the time.
  • scovell001scovell001 Frets: 60
    edited July 2018
    If Adrian ever does a mk2 version, I’d like unity volume at about 11 instead of 1 (so slightly more clean volume) - I’d also like a second gain stage like an exotic rc booster v2. Mine also chews the old batteries, whereas the Deuce still has the same battery from 2 years ago !
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6119
    tFB Trader
    If Adrian ever does a mk2 version, I’d like unity volume at about 11 instead of 1 (so slightly more clean volume) - I’d also like a second gain stage like an exotic rc booster v2. Mine also chews the old batteries, whereas the Deuce still has the same battery from 2 years ago !
    To be honest it only draws 11ma of current which is really low, most of that is probably the led, however the iC in the peacekeeper is more current heavy than some, but it’s worth it. It’ll eat batteries over time if you leave it connected. If you want it to conserve the battery just unplug the output jack and it’ll not drain at all. 

As for more volume.. it’s a balance I guess, I pegged it where it is so that it acts as a low gain overdrive rather than a full on balls to the wall booster. That’s what the team medic will do for you.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com