component and VST3?

This may be a pretty silly question, but I've assumed things before and ended up messing things up so I'll ask anyway.

Do I need to keep both the .vst3 and the .component files for the same plugin in my plugin folder? I only really use vst 3 so would it be okay to delete the equivalent .component files to free up some space on my hard-drive?

I seem to have equivalents for most of my plugins so it would seem to make sense to get rid on the duplicates?

Cheers,

Dom
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I only use VST3 as well and have deleted all the VST2 and other files I don't need.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Excellent - thank you!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    I let my computer decide where to put VST3 files, which happens to be at the following path
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

I'm not sure what you mean by .component files.

For VST2 files, I've specified my own specific path and store them under subfolders with the manufacturer's name.

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I let my computer decide where to put VST3 files, which happens to be at the following path
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

I'm not sure what you mean by .component files.

For VST2 files, I've specified my own specific path and store them under subfolders with the manufacturer's name.

I assume that the OP is referring to what happens when you install a plugin . Many come as 32 bit and 64 bit in VST3, VST2 and non VST formats. Sometimes you get them all installed on your hard drive if the installation routine doesn't allow you to specify which formats you want.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Yes, that's correct. I think over the years I've just installed different formats but I hardly ever use anything but vst3 these days. I need to be a bit careful though as having removed some .component files and then opened some sessions there were a few rogue plugins that I had to put back. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    Was about to reply then realised this was a mac thing....im not sure .copmonent files are necesarily always vst2 plugins though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ