Update with Happy Outcome: was - Setup grumbling/questions and also a general grumble

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7402
edited September 2018 in Acoustics
I took my J45 TV to the local shop to have an end pin jack and strap pin fitted.

First grumble - and my own fault for not making doubly sure I'd explained where I expected the strap pin to be, but he stuck it directly on the rear of the heel (rather than around to the lower side a bit as seems to be 'normal' on everything you see these days) I felt a bit sick when I saw it but it was done and it seems ok but, but y'know  :-( 

Second grumble/question - as he's putting it back in the case he starts shooting the shit about the action - "...the action is a little high isn't it, and obviously you'd not want the break angle over the saddle to be any less so normally you'd reduce the thickness of the bridge at the same time as reducing the height of the saddle but with the inlays on there you can't really so yeah it's a nice guitar but a shame that someone with a Crafter is probably going to have a better playing guitar..."   - closes case  - smiles - hands it over.

I left feeling pretty deflated I can tell you.

Is he right? Not much to be done? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4181
    edited July 2018
    He sounds like a proper c*nt.

Oh, and if he’s talking about break angle and shaving bridges without mentioning string height above the top, he also doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    +1 on the "he sounds like a proper c"nt....he most definately is and talking total shite to boot..name the fucker so no one else has the mis-fortune to use him.   Jealousy is a horrible thing
    edited July 2018
    Now to elaborate...

The J45 TV does appear to come with a fairly thick bridge, which means break angle might be shallower than on a guitar with a thinner one, but break angle only needs to be enough to stop the strings moving around on the saddle so you may be able to lower the action and still not have a problem. My J45 TV had fairly shallow break angle but the string height above the soundboard was spot on and there was enough angle to secure the strings. No problem.

Let’s say it was going to be a problem...you don’t need to shave the bridge, you just need to ramp the slots behind the saddle so the string dives back into the hole at a sharper angle.

Even if you did want to shave the bridge, nobody competent to perform that work would bat an eyelid at removing and replacing the dots.

I could go on, but the bottom line is this is why you have to take nice acoustics to proper people...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ This, acoustics need to go to the right people. PM me if you need a few suggestions in the Bath/Bristol area Tim 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Directly on the rear of the heel is the wrong place on a full-depth acoustic, any competent tech should know that. (On a Gibson with a rounded heel I would put it on the centreline of the heel facing the neck, in fact.) The bad news is that a J45 has no plastic heel cap, so replacing that to repair the damage isn't even an option - although you could possibly have a thin mahogany veneer fitted it's quite a lot of work.

Low action is not the be-all and end-all on an acoustic either. Personally, I would prefer to have my J45 sound better than a Crafter - it will, even with a lower break angle - and if I wanted his opinion on the relative merits of them I would have asked. For what it's worth my Dove has the thickest bridge I've ever seen on an acoustic guitar, and it also has the best sound I've ever heard out of one.

So no, he is not right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7402
    An update : I got a recommendation from @stuartryanmusic  ;for a local-ish (40 mins away near Bath)  luthier/repairer - dropped it with him a week or so ago and collected it today - it now plays absolutely beautifully! 

He was going to make a new saddle but in the end only had to take a mil or so off the existing one and reprofile it a little, set the truss rod a little straighter (pretty much dead straight I think)  - feels like some nut slot fettling might have happened too. But whatever was done has resulted in a noticeably slinkier feel, much easier barre-ing up the neck and possibly the nicest playing acoustic I've experienced. 

Soundwise all seems to remain in order too - in fact if anything it sounds clearer as my fretting is more sure. 

A happy ending, so to speak. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    An update : I got a recommendation from @stuartryanmusic  ;for a local-ish (40 mins away near Bath)  luthier/repairer - dropped it with him a week or so ago and collected it today - it now plays absolutely beautifully! 

He was going to make a new saddle but in the end only had to take a mil or so off the existing one and reprofile it a little, set the truss rod a little straighter (pretty much dead straight I think)  - feels like some nut slot fettling might have happened too. But whatever was done has resulted in a noticeably slinkier feel, much easier barre-ing up the neck and possibly the nicest playing acoustic I've experienced. 

Soundwise all seems to remain in order too - in fact if anything it sounds clearer as my fretting is more sure. 

A happy ending, so to speak. 
    Excellent news. Now take it back to the hack in the shop and show him.

I mean don’t, obviously, but you know what I mean.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28093
    Lewy said:

I mean don’t, obviously, but you know what I mean.
    You mean burn the place down, right? Gotcha.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5734
    Did it go to Andy by any chance? Man is a genius in making difficult guitars play perfectly 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    There are a lot of bodger's about and his sarky comment about Crafter etc certainly shows up his attitude. I think it's a bit of an unwritten law that you never disrespect someone's guitar choice to their face, it's like calling their kids or wife ugly, you just don't do it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    Did it go to Andy by any chance? Man is a genius in making difficult guitars play perfectly 
    This was a fellow called Ryan (coincidentally)  - Stuart did give me 2 names so that could have been the other one 
    Red ones are better. 
    Had another play yesterday - so pleased - A-shape barre chords up the neck have never been simpler (or indeed, reliably achievable by me haha) 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom