Fretless Jaguar bass with a Sustainiac. 
    Not sure if serious or...? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590

Sporky said:
    Maybe not fretless. 

But the Jaguar bass looks awesome, and Sustainiacs are excellent.

Maybe tuned BEAD and a kill switch for dubsteppy wub-wubs. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Or there’s this... which should be good for most bass players ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Course I could do an @Andyjr1515 and make something that is:

https://youtu.be/DbQ1TYuZWBI

That made me laugh :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    poopot said:
    Or there’s this... which should be good for most bass players ;)

Too complicated for me.
    edited July 2018
    Sporky said:

Sporky said:
    Maybe not fretless. 

But the Jaguar bass looks awesome, and Sustainiacs are excellent.

Maybe tuned BEAD and a kill switch for dubsteppy wub-wubs. 
    Dub the who what wub when where who?
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    As I don't know what a  Epi Newport. Darkstar is I can't say (Excuse my ignorance), however, if you're looking for something like a short scale (30")  SG type bass , then it won't cost you an arm or a leg. The reason being is I have two SG bodies part built that can either be guitars or basses at this stage, they were going to be be finished off as guitars and put into one of my black Friday sales at a sensible price. 

Having put some suggestions forward in the post http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135994/request-for-advice-regarding-bass-scale-fret-templates#latest yesterday, I quite fancy doing a short scale set neck Sei bass with all the fancy woods . So if you fancy going down that route I could most likely do a really good price on it as I need to use up a lot of the fancy woods that I used to use for making basses. 

Only the one on the right can be a bass, as one on the left is already shaped and there's not enough width for a bass neck. Both made of Brazilian Mahogany with a flame maple veneer on top. When I make SG's I always choose quite heavy mahogany to make sure you don't get neck dive, both these bodies are relatively heavy.

A mini Sei Bass, 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

@GSPBASSES - the SG option is very appealing.. and would do an EB0/1 style very nicely (!)

What sort of fancy woods do you have for the Sei styles?
    tFB Trader
    Not sure what woods I would use on the body, normally  mahogany core, ebony veneer then some kind of burr. The necks are normally five piece flame maple with two-mahogany strips or walnut strips.
    I shall have a look tomorrow to see what I have. But it can be made of anything really if I have it, or if you have a preference.

I thought you were thinking of going 5 string?

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

GSPBASSES said:
    Not sure what woods I would use on the body, normally  mahogany core, ebony veneer then some kind of burr. The necks are normally five piece flame maple with two-mahogany strips or walnut strips.
    I shall have a look tomorrow to see what I have. But it can be made of anything really if I have it, or if you have a preference.

I thought you were thinking of going 5 string?
    Lol you’re a funny man! I struggle enough with 4 let alone 5 ;) 

edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    I know your really only a P bass man, but you could try going to a jazz. The one pictured below is a 30" scale Jazz bass, it has a fairly large control cavity on the back as the original ones I made had EMG preamps in them, that consisted of volume, pan, bass and treble cut and boost plus mid with mid sweep.

I do make Thunderbird basses, one pictured below is a bit odd,. It has a double octave neck, plus the bass player who ordered it wanted to be able to get to the upper frets, so the bridge had been moved forward a fair way.

I reckon I could make one of these short scale 30".  Apart from 30" scale, I also do Fender short scale baritone 28.5" and Fender baritone 30.5" scale.

@GSPBASSES - doesn't have to be short scale. I was just musing over doing something different for the next project - given the last 4 have all been P basses. 

I was going to ask you what you had in your "nearly complete" pile that hadn't been sold that I could pick up. The short scale thing I think came from the the Gibson EB-0 suggestion - but of course they did a long scale version of that as well!

If anything the body/neck was less in my mind and more the desire to try a different pickup type or combo..That Tbird looks fab btw.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    If it's different pickups you're interested in you could set if @TheGuitarWeasel fancies making another pair of bass buckers like mine. 16 magnets in each. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    If it's different pickups you're interested in you could set if @TheGuitarWeasel fancies making another pair of bass buckers like mine. 16 magnets in each. 
    He’s just made me a rather special one for the current project - a 51P pickup wound and constructed like a Ric single coil!!!
    tFB Trader

I can make whatever you want within reason, certainly all the  fender style, including a super jazz (that's a double octave neck and fancy woods if you like). Gibson type I can do a Thunderbird, SG long and short scale, Explorer , and if you got loads and loads of money John Entwistle's spider bass (not with all the fancy mother-of-pearl inlays). If you fancy something very different I do the BC Rich Mockingbird. And of course there's the Ric body I have. I also make one Warwick type bass can't remember what it's called. It's the one with the very long fat top horn and a very small bottom horn,  and of course I can do the Sei bass.

GSPBASSES said:

I can make whatever you want within reason, certainly all the  fender style, including a super jazz (that's a double octave neck and fancy woods if you like). Gibson type I can do a Thunderbird, SG long and short scale, Explorer , and if you got loads and loads of money John Entwistle's spider bass (not with all the fancy mother-of-pearl inlays). If you fancy something very different I do the BC Rich Mockingbird. And of course there's the Ric body I have. I also make one Warwick type bass can't remember what it's called. It's the one with the very long fat top horn and a very small bottom horn,  and of course I can do the Sei bass.

Wow - yes I figured there would probably be quite a bit of choice. 

I’m tempted to go SG style body, long scale (EB-0L), two point vintage style bridge and a big neck humbucker - probably get something wacky custom wound. Probably even just stick with straight mahogany and do a satin cherry oil finish. Hmmm. Need to ponder.

Thoughts anyone?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:

I’m tempted to go SG style body, long scale (EB-0L), two point vintage style bridge and a big neck humbucker - probably get something wacky custom wound. Probably even just stick with straight mahogany and do a satin cherry oil finish. Hmmm. Need to ponder.

Thoughts anyone?
    Should be able to do high wind 'Sidewinder' design if you want ... otherwise known as a 'mudbucker' 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

GSPBASSES said:

Thoughts anyone?
    Should be able to do high wind 'Sidewinder' design if you want ... otherwise known as a 'mudbucker' 
    I was wondering if there was something that could be done with the big fat neck pickup on EB-0's - can they be voiced in any way?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:

Thoughts anyone?
    I was wondering if there was something that could be done with the big fat neck pickup on EB-0's - can they be voiced in any way?
    The Sound of a 'Mudbucker' comes from it's design: it's a sidewinder, in that it has two coils laid on their side, with the magnets and pole screws between them ... it's also very hot. Basically you can build anything you like in a mudbucker case :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

The Sound of a 'Mudbucker' comes from it's design: it's a sidewinder, in that it has two coils laid on their side, with the magnets and pole screws between them ... it's also very hot. Basically you can build anything you like in a mudbucker case :-)
    Anything huh? I wonder if there's something that's never been done before to make one of those SG basses sound rather "unique"?