Premier League - 2018/2019

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
edited July 2018 in Off Topic tFB Trader
New season nearly upon us - new hope for some, instant battle of survival for others - can Burnley keep fighting and deliver again - Can West Ham, Newcastle + Everton deliver a better set of points tally - 3 big clubs who should do better

As far as the title goes I can only see Liverpool capable of giving City a run and even that might not be good enough

Chelsea - unknown at this stage - new manager - new plans and probably no Hazard and Courtois - Some rebuilding to do - possible Top 4 but not 1st or 2nd

Similar IMO for Arsenal - new manager - new plans and certainly need a face lift and fresh injection of energy if not players - rebuilding to do, so IMO a struggle for top 4

Spurs - Same as last year I believe - Can't see a top 2 position so 3rd or 4th - Some how not quite possible to run well all season, but on the day they can beat them all

Liverpool - Probably the best bet for 2nd - Klopp has had something to build on and now in his 3rd year - couple of new players in as well but no Oxlade Chamberlain for most of next year - A fit and fresh Lallana might act as a new player, if he can last all year  - potential there - Need less mishaps this year against lower placed teams - Will be hard pushed to match a similar Champions League performance again

Man U - maybe somewhat of a who knows - Jose certainly did not get the best of Progba when you see how he played for France - I sometimes laugh at Fellainiinan MUFC shirt, yet again had a decent World Cup - Sanchez did not settle and/or deliver - Lukaku needs to deliver more than he is and maybe this sums up Man U - Yes they came 2nd last year but all MUFC knows this is not enough, but not yet feel as though they will fair any better - 3rd or 4th for me with Spurs

So another title for City IMO - I'm sure they will have a Champions League final appearance in mind - But on the domestic front will be hard to see anyone stopping them - Maybe less goals and points but can't see them in any other position than 1st

Who goes down - a tough fight amongst 6/7/8 clubs again - but Cardiff, Huddersfield and Southampton IMO
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    With the signings that WHU have come up with i'm expecting better things this year. It will be a tough start for them, they have one of the worst sets of early fixtures. I think Newcastles are worse though.

I think Liverpool are planning big things, improving squad depth and possible spending £67m(!) on a new keeper. 

Man U will do what they have for the past few years - get a better result than their teem suggests.

Man City - eaily the team to beat

Chelsea - I think will be 3rd of 4th. Will take the team a while to settle and their pre season is already compromised.  

Spurs - half of them are only just back form the World Cup. That will take it's toll.

@guitars4you are you playing the fantasy football this year?

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:

@guitars4you are you playing the fantasy football this year?

I've not played it before - here or any where else - is there a link
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    edited July 2018
    Can't see much past City again though I think Liverpool could possibly push them close looking at the signings they've made. 
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited July 2018
    https://fantasy.premierleague.com/

There has been a Fretboard league the last couple of years. I really enjoy the game, it certainly helps make some of the more tedious fixtures more interesting! 

It's quite widely played, I think 6 + million managers.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22768

I don't care now Swansea are in the Championship....

Not quite true, it will be interesting to follow the Premier League without having to worry about who's in the bottom three.  And I'm curious to see how Wolves get on after doing so well last year.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Arsenal fan here and can't wait to see how Emery sets up the team for the new season. Have been impressed with his no-bullshit attitude in the transfer market, he's identified where we were weakest last season (and many seasons before) by strengthening the defence, with a new GK, and 2 defenders. Be interested to see if Sokratis will play as the first choice centre back. We been crying out for a defensive midfielder to give us bite and Torreira should hopefully give us that, haven't had anyone like Vieira for years. Elneny's mobile and runs a lot but lacks a bit of gnarly-ness.

Upfront we look good but I'd love to sell Welbeck and get Giroud back. Welbz has done jack for us so far and at least Giroud gives us another option as Aubameyang and Lacazette are similar mould's of player. I hope we have a strong season and get in that top 3-4.

Its hard to look beyond Man City to win the title again though. They can only strengthen and last season they played the best attacking football in the league. 
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    We've been missing the world cup since Sunday, haven't we? I thought footie had stopped being fickle and unpredictable... then Leicester were the champions... and who would've said "Leicester will lift the cup" then? Well, I'd like to end up awestricken again: I'd like an underdog to come top. I know it won't happen though...
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    I think the newly promoted sides will do well and I think Wolves could do really well. The bottom half is pretty even so it's not going to be easy. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Looking forward to the new season.

West Ham have signed seven new players and some even look half decent!

I'll be in the  FB Fantasy football league too. Won it last three years.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 464
    Cautiously optimistic West Ham fan here - as mentioned, tough fixtures to start the season, but we've made some genuinely great signings (no, not you Wilshere). I'm not expecting miracles straight away, but I'd take bite your hand off for a top half finish and some good football.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    Man U fan here. As always I am chomping at the bit to get the new season going, although in truth I haven't enjoyed footie as much since Fergie left, and I really don't like Moan-inho. 

My guess for top 4 is City, Utd, Liverpool, Spurs. 

I don't think that City will have the amazing season they had last time, I think that it will be much closer although I think they will probably still win. I will be more than surprised if they can maintain last season’s form for another year.

Man Utd need to play with more flair and be less pragmatic. We probably won’t get this with the current manager. I’m a tad disappointed that we didn’t get Ronaldo back, although he is an annoying bloke he is still an incredible player. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Looks like Sanchez is missing utds pre season tour due to visa issues and his tax case (might be the same for Juve and Ronaldo).

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    I don't think we (Spurs) will be particularly hampered by returning world cup players being jaded. After all, Harry never scores in August! We've had seasons recently where we've had poor results for a stretch then gone on long unbeaten runs. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

We haven't spent any money yet on transfers, although we have re-signed existing players on significantly better contracts. I'm hoping that if we do go last-minute it'll be more Van Der Vaart than Sissoko.

I think City should win it again, they were so very good last season. Second/third/fourth is a lottery, anyone of us, United, Liverpool or Chelsea.
  • I think United will run City closer this season, but won't overtake them. Liverpool will swashbuckle their way back to being considered a serious and dangerous side, Arsenal and Spurs will continue to play open expansive football, but will yet again come up short. A team will come out of the pack to surprise us all...no idea who it'll be, but for some strange reason I'd like it to be The Hammers. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Huddersfield will not be going down. We’ve decided we like it in the top flight and the premier league needs us for glamour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    As a spurs fan, my concern is that the current squad is too prone to off days. The talent is there, but stepping up a notch in consistency is vital.

arsenal and chelsea have serious rebuilding to do, either could raise up a level or drop into mid table.

i think city to win at a canter. Liverpool 2nd. 3rd down to be very close.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    As a Cardiff fan I just hope this time in the Prem for us is not dogged by controversy and off field shite.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'm a terribly pessimistic Liverpool fan but even I have to admit I fancy at least giving city some competition this season, with 2 excellent midfield additions, a world class keeper and a decent option in the front 3 already added, and imo a new number 10 before season starts we've finally bought quality where it was needed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2018
    * City
    * Liverpool
    * Spurs
    * United
    * Chelski

City are still miles ahead and not going to get caught this season. No way. 
    Liverpool and Spurs will do better though.
    United should be able to 2nd claim spot, but won't as they have a Mourinho meltdown, and that on top of the new "authentic shirt", the most expensive kit in history, will send some of the fans over the edge.
    Chelsea will just be average for them. Completely underwhelmed by their who manager.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    As a Spurs fan I think that the experience that 11 of our players (all 1st team regulars) have gained at the world cup competition will stand the team well for the coming season. Hopefully with enough consistency to see us finish very close to the top of the table. (hoping that Loris doesn't try any of the fancy footwork again!)