Band of Friends - Rory Gallagher tribute

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
in Guitar tFB Trader
just had a tip of yesterday from a customer - So time to pass it on to any Rory fans out there

Davy Knowles - the blues lad from Isle of Man, along with Gerry McAvoy and Ted McKenna

posted one link for starters - but search 'band of friends' Rory Gallagher and a host of other options - Believe they have done a few gigs in the USA - If any one knows or hears of UK gigs then update accordingly

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    Just found some UK  dates

• Friday 16th Nov
    Leicester (UK)
    The Musician
    Clyde Street, LE1 2DE leicester
    Xander Promotions
    Tickets

• Sunday 18th Nov
    Liverpool (UK)
    The Cavern
    10 Mathew Street, L2 6RE Liverpool
    Tickets
    BOF on stage 14:30
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Very nice too.. I enjoyed it much more than  I thought. It has served to remind me how much I adore Rory too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

tFB Trader
    Very nice too.. I enjoyed it much more than  I thought. It has served to remind me how much I adore Rory too. 
    Gerry obviously enjoying it - and still lays down a mean powerful grove

Looks like the 2 UK dates are with a different guitar player and not Davy Knowles
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379

Looks like the 2 UK dates are with a different guitar player and not Davy Knowles
    if it's Marcel Scherpenzeel, I'd strongly recommend going to at least one of them.

I saw him play with the band last year in Dublin & it was the closest to Rory I've ever heard. He's a phenomenal player & absolutely nails Rory's tone. Here's one of many vids on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbUGOJ1gx2o

Gerry is still fantastic, too - it really was a great gig!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Is there any possibility of BOF touring Australia? Somebody I know over there is a monster Rory fan.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I've been on a Rory sesh all day today, then saw that and was impressed, having a serious consider of making a trek to liverpool..
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Great playing by both versions of the band.   Thanks for - I’ll be working through more of their videos. 

Question for the Rory fans - which songs are most likely to work as a cover in a mixed bluesy rock set?        Drummer suggested bullfrog blues and that’s ok as a fun number but I wonder if Bad Penny would be a good chance of being recognised by casual fans?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31579
    I used to gig Bad Penny in a blues band and it has enough hooks and punctuation to go down well to people who've never heard it in my experience. 
    tFB Trader
    John_P said:
    Great playing by both versions of the band.   Thanks for - I’ll be working through more of their videos. 

Question for the Rory fans - which songs are most likely to work as a cover in a mixed bluesy rock set?        Drummer suggested bullfrog blues and that’s ok as a fun number but I wonder if Bad Penny would be a good chance of being recognised by casual fans?
    laid back then Calling Card

T'atood Lady or Moon Child
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Barry Barnes's Sinnerboy is another Rory tribute band worth checking out.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 414
    Misty said:
    Barry Barnes's Sinnerboy is another Rory tribute band worth checking out.....
         I'll 2nd that . .

I actually prefer Barry to Marcel , they both absolutely nail Rory but Barry has a (slightly) more rough and ready sound and his voice is very close to Rory's .    Where Band of friends is the (again - slightly) more polished version and it it is a pleasure to see Gerry playing on "his" songs .
      I haven't seen  Davy Knowles , he doesn't have the voice but that isn't always important .

If Gerry could get Marcel and Barry playing together that would be a sight worth seeing , but probably overkill .
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    edited July 2018
    John_P said:

laid back then Calling Card

T'atood Lady or Moon Child
    I've played T'attood Lady and Messing with the Kid.. (in a substandard way of course). 

Edit: I think "Used to Be" would be fantastic to do - that Beat Club version is off the scale.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    No-one can do Rory. Yes people can play his songs and the bands sounds great but to me that just sounds like a blues rock guitarist (and a very very good one) playing Rory songs. Rory's touch and tone was unique - still miss him and listen to his stuff all the time - vinyl is the best way to enjoy him too!!! Original mixes.
    tFB Trader
    wellsyboy said:
    No-one can do Rory. Yes people can play his songs and the bands sounds great but to me that just sounds like a blues rock guitarist (and a very very good one) playing Rory songs. Rory's touch and tone was unique - still miss him and listen to his stuff all the time - vinyl is the best way to enjoy him too!!! Original mixes.
    agree - but this is the closest you'll see with Ted and Gerry on bass/drums - I thought it was great to see the smile on Gerry's face again, as he could once again lay down the powerful groove - I'm a big Rory fan, so would never say it is the same, but glad to see this option - Granted via youtube, vinyl etc then just listen to Rory - but now I know about it I'll probably get a ticket for Leicester or Liverpool

Interesting that the Double Trouble guys still work quite a bit together for various projects
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    edited July 2018
    breadfan said:

if it's Marcel Scherpenzeel, I'd strongly recommend going to at least one of them.

I saw him play with the band last year in Dublin & it was the closest to Rory I've ever heard. He's a phenomenal player & absolutely nails Rory's tone. Here's one of many vids on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbUGOJ1gx2o

Gerry is still fantastic, too - it really was a great gig!
    Massive Rory fan here....

Marcel is great got that Rory vibe going on, I actually think his voice is closer to Rory than his guitar playing - whilst he's a phenomenal player, he's a bit safe for me and whilst he probably has to please the Rory fans I think he sometimes sounds like he's playing by numbers.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    welshboyo said:

Massive Rory fan here....

Marcel is great got that Rory vibe going on, I actually think his voice is closer to Rory than his guitar playing - whilst he's a phenomenal player, he's a bit safe for me and whilst he probably has to please the Rory fans I think he sometimes sounds like he's playing by numbers.
    ha, i heard it was the other way around - I thought his guitar was closer than his voice :)
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1460
    Ted's a mate - and one of the best 2 or 3 drummers I've ever played with. The guy seriously grooves.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom