Oil City A very Special 51 P Bass pickup

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10343
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
The Brief: to build a pickup to fit a 51 Precision rout ... that would give that characteristic snarl as delivered by a certain sixties bass which dare not be named .... just take one to your local 'Jam' session ;-)
Firstly the bobbin is laser cut and laminated to give the same winding area as 'the original'.

Next the bobbin is threaded to take the four, beefy adjustable poles

To be continued ......
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Christ on a bike you are actually doing it!

If you don't let me buy one of these I'm going to cry so hard. 

I'm off to change my pants. Bitch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I might have to link to this on Basschat - that will cause a few hundred sad blokes to lose their shit I expect...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Interesting! Are these poles magnetised or will you use a bar magnet?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10343
    tFB Trader
    Like the .... er ... original pickup ... there are bar magnets under the poles.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

We need an alternate name for the "original"

I'm going with Fakenpickup. Lol.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Sincere apologies, I just assumed that older pickups had pole piece magnets like my SD 51 pickup did.
    Sincere apologies, I just assumed that older pickups had pole piece magnets like my SD 51 pickup did.
    The Californian based boutique style maker for whom @ICBM has a penchant have always used bar magnets afaik..
    tFB Trader

I'd be a total git if I didn't sell you this one .... and of course you can buy it once it's built tested. It will be somewhat unique ... as the first of a new Masterwound line (if it's successful).

See for all of you 6 string aficionados who are looking at this thread and thinking "eh? wtf?" - This is my equivalent of someone saying they are making a PAF pickup that you can fit in a Tele bridge. Or something like that.

I'd be a total git if I didn't sell you this one .... and of course you can buy it once it's built tested. It will be somewhat unique ... as the first of a new Masterwound line (if it's successful).
    Well thank goodness for that :)

Need to decide whether to fit it to the green machine (which has a SD QP in at the mo) or the new semi-hollow 51P which may suit it better, but I don't know.. I may need to try it in both and post comparative sound samples!! 

So excited!
    tFB Trader
    This is not a Fender 51 style pickup ... it's a design that will produce a tone based on er ... well another famous maker's sounds ... 

This is not a Fender 51 style pickup ... it's a design that will produce a tone based on er ... well another famous maker's sounds ... 
    Where's @rick and @backer when you need them, huh?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

It's finished .... and I've given it a brief trial in my P Bass pickup mule ... mounted with tape etc :-)
    Yep ... it sounds kinda like I imagined it would ... very like 'that pickup that must not be named', but a little more bass heavy due to its position further towards the neck. It's a little lower in output than the inspiration pickup, due to not having physical room for bigger magnets. but that's no bad thing, as it makes it a tad more 'vintage' in its tone. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, that’s quite nice that is. 

So, er... can I have it? Pls? ;)

I have a slot in this to put it in....

tFB Trader
    Yeah, that’s quite nice that is. 

So, er... can I have it? Pls? ;)

I have a slot in this to put it in....

Of couese ... PM me and we can sort out the details 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited July 2018
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Well we shall see! It’ll be interesting to see if we can recreate that clang ;)

@ICBM might have to get a P bass after all ;)
    tFB Trader
    Well we shall see! It’ll be interesting to see if we can recreate that clang ;)

@ICBM might have to get a P bass after all ;)
    Play with a pick ... get your amplification/EQ right ... and I don't see why not. You have 12k of 44awg wire ... quad ceramic magnets and fat ole pole screws (that are adjustable ... unlike the original).

I’ve ripped it out of the semi acoustic @TheGuitarWeasel !!!

Don’t worry - it’s not bad. Dr Bridgehouse got Beaker to rip apart something else:

And in went the special:

So it’s in a solid body now - results to come. All in the name of science tho, right?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Definitely NOT subliminal advertising.  ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.