Anyone owned a Yamaha SE300?

scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
Just picked one up (from late 80s I think) in need of setup but it's got potential. The tremolo is an issue though. It's got a full sized block that doesn't seem quite right in that it's proving impossible to flatten the trem to the body as the block gets caught against the recess underneath. I wonder if it's been swapped and a smaller import style block is what's fitted as standard. Anyone have or had one?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    I have an SE100 in project condition. Its original bridge is the same as the SE300. The stock bridge has a narrow Metric spacing for the six pivot screws and unusually shaped saddles. 

I replaced my bridge with a Wilkinson. In order to get this to mount centrally, I had to buy the version with the elongated pivot screw holes. I also had to fill and redrill for the screw that passes through the one round pivot screw hole.

One upshot of this is that I have a complete but redundant Yamaha SE vibrato, finished in chrome.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Have you got a photo of the stock one that I could compare with mine? I found a photo of one earlier which did have full sized bridge so maybe mine just needs adjusting... Was the bridge on your SE100 a hopeless case?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    https://i.imgur.com/UdzLDdE.jpg?1

Wilkinson installed. Yamaha resting in humbucker cut-out.

The stock bridge has the skinny, tapered sustain block associated with Sung-il vibrato bridges. I changed to Wilkinson specifically because I want the larger steel block. My intention has always been to have the bridge flush with the body. 

In the photograph, you should just be able to make out what I meant about the elongated pivot screw holes on the Wilkinson vibrato bridge's baseplate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Taken it all apart tonight. It’s got heavy steel block which seems original. I’ve abandoned idea of using Trem arm as I can’t get it to be useable  and it now sounds rather good as is. Needs nut grooves lowering but otherwise quite pleased. May replace Tele style knobs mind...