Drums and ear protection

What's Hot
My 14 y.o. daughter plays drums. I'd like to protect her ears. Can anyone recommend good ear protection? A quick search on what's available shows me there are lots to choose from and I don't know what I should be looking for.
Cheers.
Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Short answer:
    For now, the disposable in-ear type. The sensible way to purchase these is in bulk.

Once your daughter stops growing, consider getting proper fitted in-ear monitors.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2018
    Sesh said:
    My 14 y.o. daughter plays drums. I'd like to protect her ears. Can anyone recommend good ear protection?
    Etymotic ER20 do a small size.  She'll be good with those, I use the regular size -- they take at least 12dB off which is enough to protect and still retain a lot of clarity, AND you can use a single pair for dozens and dozens of gigs:  quick rinse in warm soapy water cleans them perfectly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    I have Vic Firth drum headphones for recording, they’re basically ear defenders with headphone drivers in. They also do the ear pads but without headphones - they’re basically ear defenders with Vic Firth written on the sides.

The isolation easily beats typical off the shelf in ear earplugs, but they can clamp fairly hard. You get used to it though.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll get those etymotic ones and see how she gets on with them.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    Or look at the ACS Pacatos - similar to the er20s but easy to put in and less obtrusive
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1