Can imagine a fan baiting dialogue...

"I'm here to take command of Discovery"

"why, what's wrong with the Enterprise?"

"Ahh, it sucks, left that idiot Kirk in command..."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107

• The first season started comically badly, but by the end I thought it was mostly tolerable. This isn't TNG, but then it never was going to be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I actually quite enjoyed it throughout.. apart from the Klingons obviously :)

Trailer looks interesting...
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Looking forward to this, sad to see its 2019

• RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    Looking forward to this, sad to see its 2019

Only five months now...  It will be Christmas before you know it and everyone will be moaning about how cold it is  ;)
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Absolutely brilliant news. I just loved this series.

All we need now is that the Expanse will have a new season..... (not holding breath)
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Expanse has a season 3 that has already aired in US and Amazon has picked it up for season 4 and (possibly) beyond.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26900
    S1 didn't feel at all like Trek, but was half-decent TV sci-fi, so i'm in.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Wolfetone said:
    Absolutely brilliant news. I just loved this series.

All we need now is that the Expanse will have a new season..... (not holding breath)

As @gavin_axecaster says, Amazon are taking on The Expanse from S4, at least in the US (S3 has aired on SyFy in the US). Not sure whether internationally it'll stay with Netflix or not, but I hope it does- don't know if I can be bothered with multiple different subscription services, and I'm almost certain that, as usual, if and when I get round to reading them the books will be better anyway.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader

New trailer..  This one has made the prospect of next season more inviting to me.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited October 2018
    Looks like a pile of crap to me .. why does everything to do with Trek have to go back to the Kirk and Spock era .. maybe if the producers watched Doctor Who they might understand that past baggage  can put off new viewers.  Junk references to Kirk, Pike, Spock and write something original. Star Trek TNG was popular for a reason - great cast, good scripts and no baggage from the past.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    edited October 2018
    Fretwired said:
    Looks like a pile of crap to me .. why does everything to do with Trek have to go back to the Kirk and Spock era .. maybe if the producers watched Doctor Who they might understand that past baggage  can put off new viewers.  Junk references to Kirk, Pike, Spock and write something original. Star Trek TNG was popular for a reason - great cast, good scripts and no baggage from the past.
    It's how you use the baggage that matters and TNG used it well. The episode with Montgomery Scott was brilliant, same with the use of Spock. The writers of TNG established their world first. It took a season to really start getting things going but when they did, it's still brilliant work. 

Doctor Who when relaunched was a funny one because it wasn't really held back by old 'proper Who' baggage: it was an RTD creation that became the burden on the back, namely the Time War. Stuff like bringing back the First Doctor and the wonderful cameo by Tom Baker has been pretty well done. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    It's how you use the baggage that matters and TNG used it well. The episode with Montgomery Scott was brilliant, same with the use of Spock. The writers of TNG established their world first. It took a season to really start getting things going but when they did, it's still brilliant work. 

Doctor Who when relaunched was a funny one because it wasn't really held back by old 'proper Who' baggage: it was an RTD creation that became the burden on the back, namely the Time War. Stuff like bringing back the First Doctor and the wonderful cameo by Tom Baker has been pretty well done. 

I agree with you ... TNG was the best Trek ... intelligent scripts backed by a strong cast. The odd nod to the past was fine and well written.

The original Who reboot with Ecclestone was excellent. I was sad to see him go and he now regrets leaving. As you rightly say RTD dragged the baggage on board the Tardis. Hopefully the new reboot can dump it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Fretwired said:
    I love references to other series. It provides relevance and anchors the storyline.

The Next Generation was sublime but latest series was very binge watchable.