A bigger package.

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2348
edited July 2018 in Making & Modding tFB Trader

The postman also delivered this package.

The inner the box.

The inner box opened

The content, a beautiful 3 colour sunburst Stratocaster body, by the code number I should think it's Mexican.

I can't believe one of the part casters builders on the forum didn't spot this on eBay. I only found it through another posting were one of our members were asking if I different body to this one was a genuine Fender. I went and had a look and scroll down the page as you do, and spotted the fender I now have.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    V nice. And even better that it doesn't have a fugly universal pickup route.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Lol. That’s like a busman’s holiday or something ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bond123Bond123 Frets: 4

Isn't that like taking coals to Newcastle?

That's an awful lot of necks in the background in this post and the Small Package post!

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Silly question, but how come there’s no paint in the routs- do they rout these after they’ve put the finish on? If so, why - isn’t there a chance of it ripping the finish ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    mart said:
    Silly question, but how come there’s no paint in the routs- do they rout these after they’ve put the finish on? If so, why - isn’t there a chance of it ripping the finish ?
    Good point. 

I thought something looked odd about the body but couldn't put my finger on it. 

R. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2348
    tFB Trader

No colour lacquer in the cavities was the first thing I notice when I open the box. I used to run my own spray shop for spraying guitars, even though all cavities were carefully masked off, I can't recall ever having the body that looked as clean cut round the edges of the cavities. Not sure how they do it, but it does look very much like any over spray has been removed back on the CNC. Although I can't see that as being very cost-effective for practical. All the cavities do I have clear lacquer in them.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    And yet there is paint in the neck pocket.  How odd
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    I don't know how/why they do them like this, but it is now the norm, at least on recent Fender Mex Classic series bodies. Personally I like it as on solid colours (mines CAR), via the various cavities front and back you can see the grain across about 70% of the guitar. I can see a single join on the bass side of the pickup routs on mine, so probably a two piece or at worst a three piece body - certainly not the five or seven piece spreads veneered front and back as found on 90's Mexican Fenders. Also, the finish looks quite thin on mine, again much better than even just a few years ago (I've had quite a few Mex Fenders and excluding the CAR body currently own five from 2007-2015. The fit and finish gets progressively better). And no paint in the neck canvity, but some dye/marker pen around the edge, something Fender do on most models.

https://i.imgur.com/ifUcYZW.jpg
  • WezV said:
    Meaning there’s no chance of seeing any wood, just paint, when the neck is fitted and getting complaints of a poor finish?

Doesn’t matter elsewhere as it will be hidden under the scratch plate. 

WezV said:
    Meaning there’s no chance of seeing any wood, just paint, when the neck is fitted and getting complaints of a poor finish?

Doesn’t matter elsewhere as it will be hidden under the scratch plate. 

I was more thinking off the order of operations, not the reason for the colour there

if it was paint it would suggest neck pocket was routed before finish and other routes were done after, which would be odd... but if it’s pen then they can be ignored 

Maybe they just just have a really effective masking contraption, but it’s still an odd step to go to when it’s benefits are minimal if existent at all.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I seem to recall Paul Reed Smith stating that they don't paint the cavities in the Silver Sky model for a tonal reason.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    normula1 said:
    I seem to recall Paul Reed Smith stating that they don't paint the cavities in the Silver Sky model for a tonal reason.
    At the price of a PRS manually masking them off at an artists request isn’t unreasonable

fenders choice will be based on efficiency and cost, But it’s hard to imagine what the benefit to them would be without knowing the factory processes.  
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Maybe it's a stock control thing? They can pre-paint bodies in advance and route them at will?
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited July 2018
    My guess would be that it is simply how they jig up for a high volume paint line.

I ran a few aluminium powder coating lines for a number of years and there were similar challenges with jigging.

I'm almost certain to be wrong, but in similar circumstances my logic would have been, against a requirement of:
    • Request by manufacturing to retain visibility of the internally used id markings in the neck pocket
    • Request by the marketing to have all under- scratchplate chambers unpainted but clear coated because it looks classier and more professional.
    ...then my solution, especially if I was using a cnc controlled automatic quick- colour change spray booth.

• Standardised jig fixture locked into neck pocket allowing the body to hang  down rigidly from the  paint line track.
    • Preformed insert placed in control chamber / pickup chamber to mask those areas
    • Track runs though paint and, maybe, accelerated drying stations, that is:
    • Prime
    • Colour coat(s)
    • Remove insert
    • Clear coat
    • Accelerated drying (perhaps)
    • Dejig
     This then leaves me with one problem -   the possibility of a visible edge of the neck pocket once the guitar is assembled.  My pragmatic solution would be to have a pack of colour matched sharpies at the end of the track and colour the corners

As I say, I'm probably wrong but that is how I would do it given the range of multi color change automatic paint booths available nowadays.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7025
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    The line around the cavities is so sharp, they have to be routed after the colour coats are appled.

The neck pocket (which is common to all models) is clearly routed before the colour coats.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited July 2018
    Maybe @MattFGBI can shed some light on this?
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    It's painted last. I'm guessing this is a Classic body so that's why there's not shielding paint. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com