Blues for Greeny

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
Never been much of a Gary Moore fan, so had never got around to listening to this. However, Amazon was selling it for the princely sum of £3.99 so thought I'd give it a try.

Actually very good indeed, and (blasphemy and heresy warning) I reckon Moore does Peter Green even better than Peter Green did. Really well nuanced playing, great phrasing, etc. Just sorry I'd never bothered with it before now.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I'm sure I bought that cd once, but I can't find it and I've never played it. I love gary moore's Blues playing though - and I'm not a fan of Peter green I'm afraid so I can guarantee that I'd prefer GM
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I saw him play some of this live and he channels the whole Greeny feel thing but as said subtly nuances it with just sublime technique. 

~the guitar world is certainly a lesser place without  Mr Moore
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    Bought that the day it came out and it gets played quite regularly.  Brilliant album for PG fans.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I like Gary Moore's guitar playing, but I just don't think he's a very good singer. Peter Green had an amazing voice. Gary Moore didn't. It's a shame as I love Peter Green so would have liked to enjoy the album but the singing just isn't for me.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    CHRISB50 said:

I like Gary Moore's guitar playing, but I just don't think he's a very good singer. Peter Green had an amazing voice. Gary Moore didn't. It's a shame as I love Peter Green so would have liked to enjoy the album but the singing just isn't for me.

GM had a better voice than Bonamassa at least.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    yes I love this album, especially Showbiz Blues - all that reverb!!  
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

LOVE Gary Moore...   He also did Blues for Jimi

And stood in for Eric Clapton (as such)  :) 

He was a total guitar monster.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    For me Gary Moore's voice was fine. The blues doesn't require an amazing singer, but it's much better (as far as I am concerned) when the guitarist sings. That's where Kenny Wayne Shepard falls short for me.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    axisus said:
    For me Gary Moore's voice was fine. The blues doesn't require an amazing singer, but it's much better (as far as I am concerned) when the guitarist sings. That's where Kenny Wayne Shepard falls short for me.
    I know what exactly what you mean. I have the same issue with Derek Trucks.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    It's a killer album and my favourite GMs playing.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    HAL9000 said:
    Never been much of a Gary Moore fan, so had never got around to listening to this. However, Amazon was selling it for the princely sum of £3.99 so thought I'd give it a try.

Actually very good indeed, and (blasphemy and heresy warning) I reckon Moore does Peter Green even better than Peter Green did. Really well nuanced playing, great phrasing, etc. Just sorry I'd never bothered with it before now.

I like Gary Moore, but always thought this album was too much of a straight copy of PG/FM.

I’m the other way around, I’d rather listed to the originals any day, far more haunting tones and I prefer Peter’s voice.   Gary Moore sounds great in the blues rock / gained up area though.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited July 2018
    If you can get hold of the live video it's really top stuff. I've got it on VHS somewhere but it's almost certainly on YouTube somewhere.

Yes...here you go:

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Definitely the best musician to come out of Northern Ireland.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I have one memory of Blues for Greeny which is Paul Jones playing a track on his R2 show and a comment about always being asked for Gary Moore tracks but they aren't usually suitable. I thought that was okay at the time but when Paul got into bed later on with JoBo I felt he'd been rather unfair on Gazza. 

axisus said:
    The heart of blues is call and response, the musical conversation. It's very obvious if you listen to Muddy Waters or BB King or Sonny Boy Williamson but it seems to get lost on a lot of modern players. KWS did some stuff with old school Chicago blues players so I think he understands it, he'd just rather be doing something else with his own music I guess. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    I did always love Gary and Albert Too Tired... And love that albert fecked him over in keys he hated live a few times (i like to think to challenge him and improve him but maybe albert was just a cunt hahahahaha)
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited August 2018
    I think his version of The Supernatural is incrediblet
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694

I like Gary Moore, but always thought this album was too much of a straight copy of PG/FM.

Surely, that was the point....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.