Acoustic Guitar Duo: sound queries

bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 171

Hi all,

I have been playing guitar for a number of years and have typically only messed with the actual sound of amplified acoustics when at open-mic shows or other such events. I have never been given control of the mixer, EQ ETC, until now.

I am playing a friend’s wedding in 2 weeks, outdoors, with a friend who is also an acoustic player. We will both sing, and have a small mixer to take the two guitar outs and the two microphones. This then goes out to two PA speakers which we borrowed from a friend of his. I know nothing about them other than to say that they are 500 W per speaker and have their own amps internally. So way too loud for what we’re doing but still, it was what we had access to.

I’d welcome any tips for EQing this. I am the lead player and will spend a lot of time above the 5th fret. The rhythm player is quite percussive. Any tips to EQ all this to not create a terrible noise?

Also, we’re playing with a large building behind us, and we do get some echo.  We’ve been asked to place the speakers at right-angles to one another to cover the entirety of the garden we’re playing in. That strikes me as a bit odd it’s a very old building and we’re already running power cables out of windows ETC lol so might be unavoidable.

We will be playing a mix of songs people  know, and some ambiance stuff whilst guests mingle, chat and have drinks ETC so nothing too loud or intrusive.

The wedding couple are personal friends of mine so I’d really like to be able to add something to the proceedings.

Any thoughts from experienced hands welcome.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    It honestly depends on the venue. The 90 degrees thing does work depending on feedback and allow you to hear yourself too without needing a stage monitor. As a duo you can get away with less high passing than in a full band. Get there early and give enough time to test yiur setup and have someone out front to help with levels. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom