Guitars you hate...

What's Hot
NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
There are guitars I can't get on with in terms of playing etc, but I absolutely can't stand matt black/goth style metal guitars with EMGs etc. I'm not into the bands that use them and they just scream 'boring' to me.

Similarly - these new fangled 8 strings guitars etc. They look a bit silly and are used to make primal sounding mud slush...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JeztoneJeztone Frets: 27
    I hate Fenders modern C profile, it feels wrong, I want a guitar neck to feel like a womans thigh, not a girls
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited April 2014
    Those Dimebag Dean things that you could land a squadron of Hawker Harriers on.

But only because they don't fit on the workbench. I've played some surprisingly good ones.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Jeztone;203318" said:
    I hate Fenders modern C profile, it feels wrong, I want a guitar neck to feel like a womans thigh, not a girls
    Wisdom awarded for your beautiful description. I completely agree but yours is so much more lyrical than my ' A Good handful' . ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2014
    Simply any guitar played by Herman Li.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    OK, I already know how much flak I'm about to get.  I've had five Gibsons (Les Paul's, SG's etc) and four Telecasters and I really find them so limited compared to Strats etc. Personally I just get more use out of three pickup guitars.  I wouldn't be so extreme as to say hate, but they just don't do it for me.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Blackmachine guitars. I've played a Blackmachine and I honestly don't get the hype. They were good but not this mystical/magical thing that can demand a £6000 price tag. 

I also hate Gibson. Every Gibson I've picked up in the last 8 years or so has had shitty fret work. For the price you pay for them now (which I WAY too much) you expect perfect fret work. PRS can do it. The PRS SE series has better fretwork than some of the expensive Les Pauls I've had the displeasure of touching, have.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Ibanez and PRS [more for the looks than anything else]. I like Strats and Les Pauls with chunky necks .. something to grab hold of matron .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    edited April 2014
    Hate is such a strong word, apples and oranges i say. I have friends who collect pointy shred machines and those just aren't my thing. They also find my Tokai 335 disgusting :P (i know, i know)

I'm not overly fond of guitars with floyds. But every guitar has it's niche.

Like a stubborn child, my tastes have changed over time. I used to detest Telecasters, but they've grown on me. Mainly due to the simplicity of them and the tones you can coax out of them have changed my mind.

Floyds are still too much like hard work for me though :P
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    SG's    They just look wrong as well as being too thin... 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Telemasters

People that construct those hideous things should be stabbed in the face repeatedly with a screw driver 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4959
    edited April 2014
    Steel string acoustics, just don't like 'em.

And semi's, just never tried one I liked, including Gibson and Ibanez "nice" ones.

And I just can't get to grips with Les Pauls, the heel just gets in the way for the type of playing I do.

*caveat* I love lots of stuff that's been recorded by other people on all the above, they're not for me though.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    Aw - Steve - you've hurt my feelings now over the Blackmachines - or you'vespent too long on certain forums where the fanboys get a bit OTT in their love for them, which can get a tad tiresome.

For clarity - we make the Blackmachine B6 model ...although it's more like £2300 (although there is a waiting list)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Don't get me wrong Jonathan the one I played was good (F8 I believe) but not so good that I'll pay as much for one as I have for my car. Maybe it is the fan boys that are influencing my opinion on them. 

And I love your guitars as you've seen me play them a few times in your shop when I've visited so I'm in no way putting down your work.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I can't imagine hating a guitar, but there are a few that aren't me...

Fret-King guitars - I like quirky guitars, the Italia ones look great, but I haven't seen a Fret-king that is anything other than ugly.

Those Yamaha Strats things too that everybody always says are great-for-the-price, hideous looking. I'd rather be a drummer.

And red Strats. Red Strats are just liars, I always thought it was the Bontempi thing, or maybe Hank Marvin with his cheesy grin and slo-mo stepover, but I look at them and see every 1950s schoolboy wanting to be an astronaut and feel a little sick as they were conned by this cheery looking colour and worse they probably only saw it on a 3" screen in b&w and thought it was LPB and can you imagine how they felt putting down their three bob and ninepence and ending up with a shit eating red Strat? No wonder Korea and Viet nam were utter failures.

And then there are Hofner Violin Basses. Has anybody ever looked cool playing one of those? One person, ever? Got to be the lamest design by a mile, like they are made from cardboard for a cartoon or something. Even Scooby Doo couldn't carry it off.

And as for double-cut Les Paul Jrs - awful looking things. Single cuts are genius, SGs are beautiful, but the double-cut is just hideous. Worse if they are cherry. I can't begin to imagine them with a melody maker headstock. Sheesh.

I really don't want to think about butterscotch Teles right now

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    As far as dislikes - there are certain things on a lot of guitars that annoy me (sometimes as a player but usually as a repairman) which I try to eliminate on guitars I make.

I dislike strats often - especially if the truss rod is at the body end- strangely it's ok on a tele as you just take the PG off and you can get to the rod. Also any wiring problems mean it's on and off with the strings and pickguard.

Les pauls & SGs - neck strength - for goodness sake - surely 3 piece necks and quartersawn makes sense and add a volute to strengthen that area whre the truss rod adjuster is.
    Also LPs - the heel gets in the way I agree - an all acess heel makes life easier.

335s etc - why oh why no electronics access panel on the rear other than aestethics. Surely dragging all the pots , switch and jack through the f-hole isn't the best idea, even after all this time. At least on the Lucille version of the 355 they have a rear access cover.

Guitars where they try to cut corners to give an affordable version of the guitar that the player really wants - especially when it means that they use hardware that simply doesn't do the job. Like when you could buy a "floyd rose" equipped superstrat for £199 and a proper floyd rose on it's own costs you over £200. Don't be surprised when the copy trem just doesn't do the job.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ForgeForge Frets: 431

I cannot say I hate any, that would be narrow minded. However there are the one that shouldn't exist, Tradetang and the likes.

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Pointy, from a purely looks-based opinion. I think all the metal guitars I've played (which I must confess is not hundreds) play extremely well, but I think locking bridges and nuts ruin tone. As does a high output humbucker. For the stuff I play anyway.

I cannot describe how close in recent years I've come to buying a PRS. I bottle it every time because I think they're ugly. I see lots of cool ones owned by people here, I just haven't played one that was good enough to make me think "fuck it, I'll just shut my eyes."

Jazzmasters/Jaguars - I love the way they look. I played a Jazz for years and it pissed me off every day (this was pre-Mastery and all that stuff). I know these days you can "correct" the issues, which are mainly bridge related, although I think the circuitry is a waste of time, but I cbf.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I don't really hate anything... sometimes there are features I'd rather weren't there, like Bigsbys etc, but I dare say that if I was mucking around on a guitar with a Bigsby I'd probably give it a flutter anyway. I just wouldn't own one.

There are no guitars I'd write off completely.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    Haha them look amazing @FelineGuitars :)
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    JookyChap said:
    And as for double-cut Les Paul Jrs - awful looking things. 
    That's it. You are dead to me now.