Guitars you hate...

What's Hot

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I've played guitars for over 40 years now and I love 'em. Can't love some and hate others, after all they're just tools for making noise. I own a few - a PRS, Blade, G&L, Heritage, 335, several Eggles and a few pointy ones. All have their uses and all of them get played.

I'm not mad keen on Jaguars and Jazzmasters or Bigsbys but I reckon if I gave them a really good try, I'd 'get it' and find a use for them. Strangely, I don't own any Gibsons or Fenders at the moment (the 335's an Epiphone Elite) and I'm not really gassing for any either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited April 2014
    There are some guitars that I don't get on with, though I don't hate them.

I really like Les Pauls - when played by other people. The neck angle, control layout and 'chunky yet small' design just doesn't work for me on an ergonomic level. I've owned several over the years and sold them all.

I've made do with buying a copy of 'The Beauty of the Burst'. I now get my Les Paul kicks vicariously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    SGs. Ugly uncomfortable nasty little things.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    • I never got on with any Fender design.
    • The look of most modern superStrats is soulless.
    • Guitars with no sustain - plicky things like Rickenbackers.
    • Bigsbys
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Jooky chap - I love you to bits, man, but seriously - dc les paul juniors and butterscotch teles? And did you say fret king's? I feel like I just heard that the wife's been playing away.. Personally I can't stand guitars with wide shallow necks with flat boards. Super strats, wobbly bridges, that knob on strats that's too close to the bridge. Overly fancy tops. Dayglo pickups and dayglo colour guitars. Flip flop paint jobs. Veneer. Guitars with more than 6 strings. Emg pickups. Violin basses. There's probably loads more, but I can't think of anything else just now..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Burns guitars - bisons, marquees and the like. Horrific looking things.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Weirdly I've never owned a Les Paul that I cared to keep (I've owned a few). Maybe if I found a very light one..

Not a fan of Floyds, dislike silly pointy headstocks and overly bright humbuckers.
    I also really hate short scale guitars, you lose all note separation and it sounds terrible.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    There are some guitars that I don't get on with, though I don't hate them.

I really like Les Pauls - when played by other people. The neck angle, control layout and 'chunky yet small' design just doesn't work for me on an ergonomic level. I've owned several over the years and sold them all.

I've made do with buying a copy of 'The Beauty of the Burst'. I now get my Les Paul kicks vicariously.
    I'm exactly the same! I was a huge Slash fanboy when I was a younger and I love the look of a nice flamey lester. But a proper lester weighs as much as a chest of drawers, add onto that the upper fret access. I would be more than content with just a nice photo of Pearly Gates.

The only guitar I played which I didn't take to was a Jap Fender Jaguar. Now that was 14 or so years ago. If i remember correctly it just sounded incredibly weedy and thin. And me and my chunky SG were into the nu-metal sound...........yeah. I may try a jaguar out and see if it was a passing phase.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I just don't like Strats, I've owned a few, don't like them to look at, don't like home they feel and always feel they sound thin and pathetic, yet I love telecasters
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Has to be Strats I'm afraid. I've owned far more than I care to admit and have never been able to get on with the ergonomics at all.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Telecasters.

'Les Paul' copies with a flat top and anything other than two humbuckers and a TOM bridge with stop tail.

Although it has to be said, 'hate' is a bit strong. I just wouldn't own them or use them.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    JookyChap said:
    And as for double-cut Les Paul Jrs - awful looking things. 
    That's it. You are dead to me now.
    I will haunt you..
    usedtobe said:
    Jooky chap - I love you to bits, man, but seriously - dc les paul juniors and butterscotch teles? And did you say fret king's? I feel like I just heard that the wife's been playing away..
    Sorry man. I forgot about those horrible tobacco burst Strats too, hope that helps

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Today i spent the afternoon being able to plsy what seemed like the entire 2014 gibson range, turns out i really really hate gibson neck profiles. I know ive primerally been a fender player and recent PRS convert but aside from some of the tones i couldnt find one redeeming feature of any of the gibsons i played.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Mother of pearl is a complete dealbreaker for me. Suhr headstocks. Active pickups. Tremeloes of any kind. Red guitars.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    I love the aesthetics of most iconic guitars but that pointy stuff with locknuts, floyds etc is not to my liking at all.

Perfectly excellent for a certain style of music I would think but looks- wise......
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55

I don't know whether to hate or pity it to be honest. Look what they've done to the poor thing.

I'm with @JookyChap on those Yamaha strats (pacifica?) too. So reasonably priced! So reliable! So depressing... It's the guitar your mum would buy you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Hate is too strong a word for any guitar, but the closest would have to be the original Parker Fly.

I was *so* interested in the concepts behind them - the idea of a light but highly resonant guitar made from modern materials, versatile electronics with acoustic sounds blended with electric, stainless steel frets that never wear out…

I thought they looked absolutely awful, but assumed there was some sort of ergonomic reason for it and that it would all make sense when I played one. And then I did.

No. It was the most needlessly uncomfortable, horrible artificial toneless-sounding thing I have probably ever come across. Dreadful thin "acoustic" sounds mixed with oddly harsh but muffled electric ones, pickups that you can't easily swap because of the unconventional way they're mounted, and finally after a while I discovered that the frets have a habit of coming off. And you can't put them on a conventional hanger without breaking the top E string.

Although the Firewood X above probably runs it a very close second.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• kossofffankossofffan Frets: 540
    Any of the Zakk Wylde signature uglies from the bullseye LP to that half SG, half flying V to the lastest Moderne of Doom thing. Just plain wrong!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• It's the guitar your mum would buy you.
    Ouch!! You really don't pull your punches, do you? :D

For me, lime green pointy things with black pick ups and a carrying handle cut out of the top horn.Aprt from the eye-watering colour scheme, is the thing really that hard to move around you need a built-in handle??
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Any of the Zakk Wylde signature uglies from the bullseye LP to that half SG, half flying V to the lastest Moderne of Doom thing. Just plain wrong!

Agreed.

Also, hate being the wrong word, I don't get on with LPs, SGs, well Gibson, and Gibson-esque guitars in general (They sit wrong against my body), Also PRS' don't, to me, feel nice, or right (I've tried a few). Also any V-shape, for me are a big no.

And Strats with bent steel saddles.

Give me a nice Superstrat anyday.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)