Re-stringing

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
TFW you've probably done the neatest re-string on an acoustic you've ever achieved. None of the bridge pins popped out part-way through and screwed things up. You didn't kink any of the strings. They've all gone snuggly on to the posts.

Then, as you trim off the last bit of spare, instead of clipping the excess you clip the bastard G-string …

Aaargh!
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    If it makes you feel any better, yesterday I somehow snipped a top E string *at* the post instead of 2" beyond it.

Doh!

Still, it was on a Jaguar so it will still fit a Strat or something else... and I did have another packet of the same strings to hand, so it was easy to replace.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    TBH I'm amazed I've never done it before. It was just the pure Sod's Law aspect of it, when I'd finally done a completely clean job on an acoustic (there's always one that gets a bit shaggy, normally, as i don't do it often enough).

Nicked one out of another set, picked the guitar up to play it, and there was thunk as the Fishman battery dropped off the inside of the heel. Bloody heat has done for all the sticky on the velcro pad, so tonight I'm going to have to slacken it all right off and put some more aggressive sticky stuff on it. FML etc. ;)
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    I've been doing this method for a couple of years now, works perfectly every time and looks really neat, no more snip slips or headstock scrapes:

Example on my Larrivee:
    https://i.imgur.com/PSslENK.jpg
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    enjo said:
    I've been doing this method for a couple of years now, works perfectly every time and looks really neat, no more snip slips or headstock scrapes:

Example on my Larrivee:
    https://i.imgur.com/PSslENK.jpg
    Wow, can't believe i have been doing this wrong for 30 yrs.... thanks for the post #enjo
    “Ken sent me.”
    I prefer this - the half-back-turn and pull-up-under lock-wrap method - it's faster, neater and gives better tuning stability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Snags said:
    TBH I'm amazed I've never done it before. It was just the pure Sod's Law aspect of it, when I'd finally done a completely clean job on an acoustic (there's always one that gets a bit shaggy, normally, as i don't do it often enough).

Nicked one out of another set, picked the guitar up to play it, and there was thunk as the Fishman battery dropped off the inside of the heel. Bloody heat has done for all the sticky on the velcro pad, so tonight I'm going to have to slacken it all right off and put some more aggressive sticky stuff on it. FML etc. ;)
    Those Velcro things are rubbish.  I got a metal battery clip put in one of my guitars that had one of those.  The other has a K&K Pure Mini, which doesn't need a battery.
    The velcro side of it is fine; it's the glue side that sticks back to the guitar that gives out when it gets really hot for a long time.

The original installer did it right up in the shoulder of the guitar, which made the battery pouch a swine to get at. The pad (not pouch) fell of there after about 18 months after being left on a stand throughout summer, so I stuffed it back on the base of the neck, although it's not ideal because there's not a lot of wood there (big hole for a bolt (not truss rod) access) so you can only glue the border.  Have just put it back with a bit more "enthusiasm" and won't be storing the guitar vertically in the heat.

Shame, because I quite like the pre-amp (Fishman Matrix Blend) but I can't be doing with this shennanigans every couple of years.
    Snags said:

Shame, because I quite like the pre-amp (Fishman Matrix Blend) but I can't be doing with this shennanigans every couple of years.
    I've had to pin a lot of them. Although the glue seems strong if you try to pull it off on purpose, it actually creeps over time and will often fall off by itself.

Well, obviously I'm not going to say in public that I shoved it back with a bead of No More Nails because then no-one would ever talk to me again.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom