Django Reinhardt

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Django was a true master of his instrument.  Inspirational.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

Love Django. I was a teenager into heavy rock and the usual, a mate played a Quintette album and was knocked out by it. The sheer joy and zip of the whole lot of them, let lone the violin & guitar skill. Was lucky enough to see Stephane Grappeli once.
    Me dog's called Django : )

https://i.imgur.com/miL5Nh8.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Corvus said:

Love Django. I was a teenager into heavy rock and the usual, a mate played a Quintette album and was knocked out by it. The sheer joy and zip of the whole lot of them, let lone the violin & guitar skill. Was lucky enough to see Stephane Grappeli once.

Likewise I was lucky enough to see Stephane play at the Reading Hexagon. He was an old man and seemed genuinely surprised that a crowd would turn out to see an old man play his violin, but it was obvious that the whole crowd loved him and he appreciated it.

Give Django a cuddle for me :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Phil, will do. Same, Stephane was a lovely amiable chap.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Good to see so much Django love over here

I heard this recording playing from a market stall in Montalivet a few weeks ago and immediately guessed who it was

Mind boggling how he echoes the clarinet part. And the whole song is diminished chords. Utterly bonkers and so inventive
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31468
    He was a genuine genius, one of those for whom the instrument is not in the way of him translating thoughts into music instantly. Rare stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3058
    The dictionary definition of Va-va-voom. Beautiful stuff.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    jdgm said:
    The biography by Charles Delauney (if you can find it) is a real eye-opener to a very different era....he was a bit of a rogue!!
    @jdgm I'll have to read that. I've heard some great yarns over the years. I inherited my appreciation from my jazz-obsessive dad, whose favourite Django story was that when Reinhardt first went to the US, he didn't take a guitar because he thought he was so famous, people would be queuing up to give him instruments.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
    tFB Trader
    Corvus said:

Likewise I was lucky enough to see Stephane play at the Reading Hexagon. He was an old man and seemed genuinely surprised that a crowd would turn out to see an old man play his violin, but it was obvious that the whole crowd loved him and he appreciated it.

Give Django a cuddle for me :)
    Likewise - I saw Stephane at Derby Assembly Rooms - with John Etheridge and Diz Disley

My Granddad actually played with Stephane sometime during WW2 when he was based in the UK - again at a concert in Derby

My dad, who is an ex pro sax player and big into jazz, always puts Stephane down as the finest jazz musician
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • djangodjango Frets: 3

109th Django's Birthday Celebration our yearly event at Le QuecumBar Battersea home to Gypsy Swing

Gary Potter wizard of Swing

Feat. FeigeliPrisor

Noah Schafer - Ewan Bleach Sunday 20th £25  Monday 21st £23

Every year we celebrate Djangos birthday in style we are lucky this year to have a stella line up with 4 world class players to entertain you the Django way traditional Swing guitar as it should be!

Two nights of double celebration headed up by UKs finest wizard of Swing the legendary Gary Potter on guitar plus Dutch Gypsy Masters Feigeli Prisor  on guitar,  Noah Schafer on double bassand UKs Ewan Bleach - multi instrumentalist - clarinet, vocals. 

Be prepared to be swinging in your seats with this first time unique line up

ADVANCED GYPSY SWING WORKSHOP at Le QuecumBar
    with the modest master - Feigeli Prisor on guitar, 

with limited numbers -
    Sunday day time Jan 20th 11am - 4pm £40
    Learn from the modest master

TICKETS: WWW.QUECUMBAR.CO.UK

Concert advanced ticket price Sunday £25  – Monday £23 

Doors open 6pm - Tables are allocate on arrival –

Food is served until 10pm we reserve the right to make a min spend charge of £25 pp as all the ticket monies go to the musicians

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited January 2019
    The only jazz I've ever properly fallen in love with was Django & Stephane together with the HCoF. The way he makes that violin sing is unlike anything I've ever heard any other violinist do, and I've listened to a LOT of a violinists.

(Thanks Bioshock for hooking me up with gypsy jazz, if nothing else :+1: )
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I'm a big Django fan.  I've spent a fair amount of time leaning Django songs and I've pick up a lot from his stuff.  I laugh that I've sometimes struggled with his stuff using four fingers and he managed it using only two!!!
    Proper amazing guitar hero.
    I must say that I also love Rosenberg's stuff, he's  almost like a reincarnation of Django.  He owes it all to Django though, like all of us standing on the shoulders of giants.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I absolutely love Django - for me, his abilities are breathtaking. I do love the genre though. Django and I have something in common - when I'm playing, people ask if I've lost the use of a couple of my fingers. 
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Refound this after stumbling upon this thread.

Class. Absolute class.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SDanSSDanS Frets: 2
    Oscar Aleman also worth a listen if you're on a Django kick -  " 'Alemán has more swing than any other guitarist on the continent', and 'His tone, phrasing, swing, and attack are so grand that if anyone ever mentions Django Reinhardt to me again, I shall stare coldly.' " [Wikipedia]

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Django is THE man.  I love his music.  It is infectiously jolly, and swing is hard not to like.

People get sniffy about scratchy recordings being old, but I find his melodic approach fresh as a daisy.  

Doesn't take very long to get the rhythm playing nailed (same shapes as Freddie Green)

(I get most gigs playing swing tunes - people just love it)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • gary potter is outstanding.. as is jimmy rosenberg and the rosenberg trio..
    Have another one.