Is there a trad English music scene?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4978
There is a very active trad Irish music scene. I believe there is something similar in Scotland. Wales is famous for its male choirs but is there a trad music scene in Wales? I know about Morris Dancers in England but is there a trad music scene there?

What I mean is the music of the people - the music that 'ordinary' people sang and danced to in houses, at barn dances etc.  A key part of courtship in the days before recorded music, TV or the Internet. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    yes, lots of it. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    The Wurzels performed miracles. I mean, the guy on sousaphone sings for the majority of the song but he manages to keep playing the bass-line going throughout. Genius. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    merlin said:
    The Wurzels performed miracles. I mean, the guy on sousaphone sings for the majority of the song but he manages to keep playing the bass-line going throughout. Genius. 

Ha, that reminds me of when Faith No More were on tops of the pops and Mike decided to make rude faces while the very obvious backing track vocals were still going  D 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2018
    Yes. There’s loads of folk festivals happening throughout the summer (my local one the Warwick Folk Fest is this weekend). Many towns have folk clubs, usually in pubs or village halls. The attendance at these certainly has a large amount of older folk, but plenty of young performances coming through the scene. It’s pretty much an underground movement, but occasionally breaks through. Eg Kate Rusby getting played on Radio 2 (and she puts here name to a festival that happened last week). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes. There’s loads of folk festivals happening throughout the summer (my local one the Warwick Folk Fest is this weekend). Many towns have folk clubs, usually in pubs or village halls. The attendance at these certainly has a large amount of older folk, but plenty of young performances coming through the scene. It’s pretty much an underground movement, but occasionally breaks through. Eg Kate Rusby getting played on Radio 2 (and she puts here name to a festival that happened last week). 
    Kate Rusby is a good proponent of English Folk. It’s modern - not traditional if you ask me - but it’s certainly carrying the tradition. As are Fairport Convention. 

Steeleye Span used to do a lot of material which was a modern interpretation of the traditional English aural storytelling and news spreading nature of folk music
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I loved the first few Jim Moray albums, some great reworkings of old songs with a modern twist. ‘Sweet England’ is probably still his finest piece of work. 

That’s what I like, a modern re-telling, passed the songs on to the next generation rather than never moving past the Cecil Shrap ‘collected songs’, which trap them at a moment in time.

folk music (to me should evolve) 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    As has been said lots of folk festivals in the UK, some absolutely amazing young musicians as well. I saw Eliza Carthy earlier this year ( in her 40s now, not a nipper maybe) and she's a stunning performer. I saw Show of Hands last year ( or before?) who look like a bunch of old geezers about to play Black Magic Woman for twenty minutes but mixed up traditional English folk with their own political compositions. 

I think the tradition that's dying more is the music hall song. Some of these go back to the early 19th century and were the songs that everyone ( of many generations) knew and could sing around an upright piano in the pub or in the parlour. Songs of the industrial English working class so a Boiled Beef and Carrots gets overlooked for the exoticism of more obscure trad songs about lost maidens and land owners. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited July 2018
    Wales; nowhere near Ireland’s trad scene but there is one; Wales has its own traditional styles, dances, melodies and songs. The non conformist chapels did unfortunately stamp out a lot of this tradition, frowning upon people having fun and drinking and so on; they sung hymns which spawned the choral tradition.

But it never vanished and there have been many revivals over the years, many based on the Welsh language music scene, and hybrids with folk music. There are more formal types of dancing and singing, as taught at schools, performed in competitions at eisteddfods etc.
    Recently it has gained more credibility as younger, more ‘trendy’ bands and artists have emerged. But unlike Ireland you’d be lucky to stumble into a pub where there is a trad jam going on; I’m sure that if your in the scene you would get to know the rest quickly and know where to go. To be honest I wouldn’t mind having a go but not aware of any local sessions!

The most prominent band at the moment is Calan, who are using trad instruments in a more modern style: 

https://youtu.be/jq7P1t3F8Vk

On Scotland, I recently discovered niteworks, who mix trad with electronic, and through them, Ellen Macdonald of Daimh who has a beautiful voice. I love the sound of Gaelic.

https://youtu.be/bOB-fOZ6SmY
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    ^ many of the folk songs that were collected by Cecil Sharp et al are now thought to have originated in the music halls, or in other forms of entertainment such as the pleasure gardens and glee clubs. They're only 'traditional' in the sense that they've been passed down and adapted through oral transmission.

In answer to the original question... as a fairly keen folk enthusiast and musician, actually I think English folk music is in a pretty parlous state compared with Scottish or Irish music. In those countries, music is seen as part of the national identity, and there are very active state-funded initiatives for preserving it and training new generations of musicians. England doesn't really have anything to compare. In fact even here in Cambridge, for example, there's a thriving Irish music community that offers loads of tuition for young players, but nothing of the sort for English music.

It's a shame, because the English folk tradition is actually quite distinctive and interesting from a musical point of view. English folk songs were invariably sung unaccompanied and in extremely free time, and typically make use of the Mixolydian, Dorian and Aeolian modes as well as the Ionian / major scale. Many of them are most easily notated in time signatures such as 3/2 or 5/4.

If you want to know about the "music of the people" from days gone by, I recommend a book called John Clare and the Folk Tradition, by George Deacon. The poet Clare was one of the earliest people to write down the folk songs, tunes and traditions of his part of England, and unlike all the other collectors, was actually a part of the community whose life he wrote about.

I am not always a fan of attempts to fuse English folk music with other genres, and I have a particular loathing for the so-called 'chamber folk' which lots of people are playing these days, involving breathy little-girl vocals and badly arranged string quartets. Jim Moray is weird, he's one of those artists whose albums invariably contain two or three brilliant tracks alongside two or three that are just embarrassing.

There are recordings of 'source singers' from the tradition, such as Walter Pardon and Harry Cox, but they can be hard work to modern ears. As a first port of call I'd suggest checking out Shirley Collins. She learned her trade from source singers such as the Copper family but went on to do some amazing records with her sister Dolly, who did Michael Nymanesque keyboard parts and early music arrangements. Shirley also sings on the Albion Country Band album No Roses, which is possibly the best English folk-rock record.

What made me get into folk music in the first place was hearing Nic Jones, who often played fast and loose with 'tradition' but was a great singer and a phenomenal guitarist. And if you want to hear very talented young musicians playing English music with a lot of spirit and enthusiasm check out a newish band called Granny's Attic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    In quaint native dress an Italian maid
    Was deep in distress as the streets she strayed
    Searching in every part
    For her false sweetheart
    And his ice-cream cart
    Her English was bad it cannot be denied
    And so to herself in Italian she cried,

Oh Oh Antonio he's gone away
    Left me alonio, all on my ownio
    I want to meet him with his new sweetheart
    Then up will go Antonio and his ice-cream cart.

So sad grew the plight of this fair, young lass
    She'd faint at the sight of an ice-cream glass
    She'd dream nigh every day
    He'd come back to stay
    But he'd fade away
    Her old hurdy-gurdy all day she'd parade
    And this she would sing to each tune that it played.

She sought in despair for Antonio
    And looked everywhere that she thought he would go
    Soon she to pine began
    As each face she'd scan
    For her ice-cream man
    She faded away, but they say in the streets
    The ghost of that girl in Italian repeats.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    My brother-in-law plays in a band called Boldwood. They’re traditional English 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    those guys are fantastic:

edited July 2018
    VimFuego said:
    viz said:
    those guys are fantastic:

Ah yes - that’s me man in the middle  
    Oh and my niece too. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    awesome, she's got some chops for a young un. 

Aye, cheers mate, she has :)
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Here's a few random English trad songs that I like:

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Super guys.  I will spend an hour or two listening to the videos over the weekend.  A thought: try to keep your traditional music alive even if you learn one song or tune.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

My personal indulgence is 60s revival folk. My favourite album is Bert and John. 

They are, well, the best IMHO