Desktop pedalboard alternatives

What's Hot
mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
I find I much prefer to have my pedals on the desk. I play at home 90%+ of the time, and the only pedal I really need to hit with my foot is the looper. I’m also playing into an audio interface and a pair of monitors a lot of the time, instead of fitting up the tube amp in this hot weather.

Currently, though, my desk is a mess. I have the guitar going onto a Mixing Link, then into a Zoom R8, and onto the monitors. In the FX loop of the Mixing Link is a Broadcast, a Joyo American Sound, and a Trio+. The idea is that I can switch the effects in an out. The setup is fantastic, but I want to brig my H9 up to the desk, and an EvenMidi controller.

It’s all starting to get a bit messy.

I’ve also realized that when I do play out, all I really need is a Broadcast, a tuner, and an H9. This means I don’t really need the big pedalboard any more (it’s a PT Junior Classic). 

So, what are my options? The studio is also a living room, so it has to be tidy when not in use. Something like this might do the trick, but it’s a U.S import:

I was also thinking about drawers, and about how to use a power supply. Currently the desk setup is using a One Spot and a few wall-warts on an individually-switched power-strip, but I have a Zuma under the pedalboard. Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Doesn't somebody use a music stand covered in Velcro on here that might do the trick?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I thought about that, but I want to use my existing desk, only to do it without spreading pedals all over the shop.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    get some ply and a few lengths of CSL. You can make whatever you want
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I thought about that, but I want to use my existing desk, only to do it without spreading pedals all over the shop.
    What’s CSL? Google didn’t help.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Ah, when I was young, we called that "wood" ;)
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I Use amplitube 3 through interface with reaper through monitors. I use a 3 layer intray on my desk. Interface sits on the bottom, leads /spares in middle and headphones on the top. Good to go. Looper pedal is in a old keyboard metal box thingymagig the old monitor used to sit on and is kept under the desk. It has a retractable draw so it just slides out when i need it but i tend to just use amplitube 3 mostly.  
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671
    Doesn't somebody use a music stand covered in Velcro on here that might do the trick?

"somebody" ?

;)

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsfourstandsjpg
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJO said:
    I Use amplitube 3 through interface with reaper through monitors. I use a 3 layer intray on my desk.
    I like this idea. The three layers seems like a nice idea.
  • @JAYJO What do you use for power?
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    edited July 2018
    @JAYJO What do you use for power?
    I just have a power strip with 4 sockets. 2 x monitors 1 x lap top. interface (Steinberg ur22) is usb powered by the laptop. This leaves me one socket. I can plug in looper if needed. (sorry for delay with this ive had to do some work today)

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    If your desk is next to a wall, I've seen people put up a kind of 'pedal notice board' - ie: a bit of wood covered with velcro loop material attached to the wall so you can stick pedals to it and use them within arms length?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 374
    Check out idea's laptop stands, they're under £5, so one of those with a bit of Velcro could hold 6ish pedals without taking up loads of space
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    I think a slide put desk is good if you keep enough ledroom
  • Gadget said:
    If your desk is next to a wall, I've seen people put up a kind of 'pedal notice board' - ie: a bit of wood covered with velcro loop material attached to the wall so you can stick pedals to it and use them within arms length?
    That sounds pretty neat, but it’s not against a wall. 

The slide-out drawer is also an interesting one. Right now I’m leaning toward a three-tier mini shelving unit, to sit on the desk. The middle shelf would either be angled, or slide out like a keyboard drawer. I’ll have to find a way to fix it to the desk though, so I can press the bypass switches without it all falling over. 

I may may also set it up so that the zoom R8 can slide in under the bottom. And it’d be neat if the top level could lift off. That way I could have the top level with my playing-out pedals on it.

It’s going to be like a Transformer!
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 328
    edited July 2018
    Paul_C said:

"somebody" ?

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsfourstandsjpg
    All you need is a guitar and your good to go lol

Amazing!
    I love my brick
  • Also promising: