Nut issue?

munckeemunckee Frets: 12345
I have a simon and patrick SP6 cedar and I have one duff note which is the first fret of the high e string.  Do I need a new nut, the truss rod is I think adjusted correctly.

Could it be anything else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    What do you mean by duff note, fret buzz?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12345
    Doesn't ring out unless I press harder and closer to the nut. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4187
    Doesn’t sound like the nut if it’s a fretted note that’s dead and it’s only at the one fret. Does it happen at the same fret regardless of the pitch the string is tuned to?
    I haven't tried it when not tuned to e. Will give it a try when I get home. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    edited August 2018
    Doubt it could be a nut issue because when fretted the nut isnt doing anything really. 

Does the 2nd fret ring out fine? 

If so I’d wager there is something going on between frets 1 and 2. 

Either first fret is flat or not shaped properly causing it to sound dead, or the second fret is slightly high causing the string to choke. 

Thats presuming the second fret and so on down the board rings out fine. 

If so its unlikely its yer truss rod or relief. 
    But to check, fret the 1st fret and last fret of the Low e, then see how much gap there is between bottom of string and top of 12th fret. 

Do the same for high e. 

Or, many people will say, fret the 1st fret, and a fret on the same string about where the neck meets the body, and see the gap around the 7th-8th fret. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Its unlikely but have you changed strings yet to see if the problem persists? Could be a kinked string... you never know.. 
    Hi just checked its the first fret which is more noticeable, just tried all the frets there is a faint unpleasant noise on the 2nd fret of the high e, no other frets or strings.
    munckee said:
    Hi just checked its the first fret which is more noticeable, just tried all the frets there is a faint unpleasant noise on the 2nd fret of the high e, no other frets or strings.
    Hmm. 

Right wheres the adults at? I’m out of my depth now! Haha. 
    skunkwerx said:
    munckee said:
    Hmm. 

An honest man! If it was more than one string I would think truss rod, I thought as it was the first is the string going too far down in the nut but I can't see anything.
    Damn, I need to apologise too, I thought I was in the Electric category this whole time!! 

Though to be honest I reckon the basics here are the same, but I must let you know I havent a clue about particulars of acoustics. 

Its been a long day!

munckee said:
    skunkwerx said:
    munckee said:
    Hmm. 

An honest man! If it was more than one string I would think truss rod, I thought as it was the first is the string going too far down in the nut but I can't see anything.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    It's nothing to do with the nut or the problem would be on the open string and not any of the fretted notes. Once you fret a note the nut is irrelevant.

Either the first fret has a flat spot on it, or the second fret is too high, or the truss rod is too tight, in about that order of probability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein