I’ve bought a jet city Amelia

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
never heard one, never seen one, ordered.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Hope it lives up to expectation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    Interested to hear your opinion on it - what will it be used for?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11497
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    newi123 said:
    Interested to hear your opinion on it - what will it be used for?
    Mostly heavy rock but I do dabble in a few other non blues related styles. I just thought for £400 odd quid it’s gotta be worth a shot, got the matching 212 too.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    Just no.

;)
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Interested in your thoughts on this as well. Loved the Cornford MK so tempted by one of these.
  • CHrisP86 said:
    Interested in your thoughts on this as well. Loved the Cornford MK so tempted by one of these.
    I own an MK50 and thought the same though according to others it sounds nothing like it 
  • CHrisP86 said:
    I own an MK50 and thought the same though according to others it sounds nothing like it 
    Does the demo recording on this thread sound much like your mk50 @Fortheloveofguitar ;
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    Once it arrives I’ll do some videos and recordings, I’m sure it’ll be pretty good!
  • CHrisP86 said:
    Does the demo recording on this thread sound much like your mk50 @Fortheloveofguitar ;
    Afraid not :(

I was due to buy one when the initial spec and hype were announced and was perceived to be a clone of the Mk50 MK2. While they look to be a great amp with a practically identical layout they sound little like the MK50 
    I’ve owned a few cornfords before so hopefully I can give a decent comparison 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    WAY too many knobs...

Took it to to rehearsal on Thursday, it’s pretty good! 

The only way I can really describe it is, it sounds like a cornford preamp into a jet city power amp, it’s certainly unique. I need to do a few valve swaps and I think it’ll suit 6L6 better and I need to tame the huge levels of gain! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    How's the effects loop? I seem to remember that really irritating German guy on YouTube having some problem with it...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How's the effects loop? I seem to remember that really irritating German guy on YouTube having some problem with it...
    I wouldn’t know, I don’t use FX loops because I like any effects out front
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    That is an obscene amount of knobs!
  • Crazed_FandangoCrazed_Fandango Frets: 59
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, the FX loop on that video by Henning Pauly (EytschPi42) showed that the FX loop had an issue where it boosted the sound when any pedals in it were engaged.  A deal breaker for me as I use the loop for my time-based pedals and solo boost.

Check out this video at the 16 minute mark
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
    grungebob said:
    That is an obscene amount of knobs!
    It kind of is, but kind of isn’t, every one serves an actual purpose. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It would be useful to know if he had the Strymon set to true bypass - I assume the Keeley is. It sounds to me like an issue with an unbuffered (or very poorly buffered) loop which cuts level, so turning on the pedal then effectively buffers it and restores the level. If so, using a buffered pedal (or a buffer first in the loop) should cure the problem.

It really baffles me why so many FX loops are so poorly designed. It’s not rocket science, but the number that do this sort of thing, or operate at the wrong signal level, or have poor parallel mixing which causes trouble with phase and/or latency, or are in the wrong place in the circuit (not after all the preamp distortion) seems to vastly outweigh the number which do everything right.

What’s astonishing is that some of the very first amps to have loops - the Rivera-designed Fender Concerts - are still among the very best. If Rivera could get it right in 1982 almost working from first principles, why can’t modern designers?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not sure it is a buffering issue; although the sound gets louder, it also becomes pretty gnarly.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!