How do you take money to Spain?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    OR alternatively, you can do this.

https://www.revolut.com

Download the app, you can get a physical card, think of it as like a cash top up card.  You can transfer money into this card like you do paying someone on BACS, then you use this card to pay, it has free money exchanges i many countries and free global money withdrawal so if you move money into this, then withdrawal with this card then you get no fees.
    This.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Thanks for the advice, I don't go for a couple of weeks so im going to look into a Clarity card and also a travel money card.
    The clarity card looks good. It does say that interest is charged on cash withdrawals from the day it's taken out. Does that mean that even if you fully pay off your balance at the end of the month you will still incur charges on cash withdrawals?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    spark240 said:
    Don’t bother....small amount for day one....then always pay in euros on a Card, or cash out local ATM.

My credit card charges 2.5% for non-sterling transactions.  If the OP's card is like that, then he's probably better off taking cash out with him.

If there is time, it's worth getting a card like the Halifax one.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    rawk100 said:
    The clarity card looks good. It does say that interest is charged on cash withdrawals from the day it's taken out. Does that mean that even if you fully pay off your balance at the end of the month you will still incur charges on cash withdrawals?
     ( Clarity holder here...) you pay interest until the balance is paid off. People who do this a lot use online banking and will pay off the balance ASAP but for the rest of us there will be interest charges, how much just depends on where the cash withdrawal falls within the month.*
     Overall interest charges on Clarity are high so it's a card you should only really have if you pay it off in full at the end of the month. However, aside from the interest on cash there are no charges and it offers consistently the best exchange rate. If you do most of your spending abroad on a card it's the best card. The Santander Zero was similar but they stopped offering that card to new people.      

* so if you pay off the card on the 25th each month and took out cash on the 20th you'd pay interest for five days. Last year we had to take out cash in the Netherlands as so many place there don't accept credit cards ( and we didn't have a suitable debit card), I can't remember the detail but we did have to pay some interest but it certainly wasn't huge.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I normally take a large wad of rolled up notes in a condom up my jacksy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    OR alternatively, you can do this.

https://www.revolut.com

Download the app, you can get a physical card, think of it as like a cash top up card.  You can transfer money into this card like you do paying someone on BACS, then you use this card to pay, it has free money exchanges i many countries and free global money withdrawal so if you move money into this, then withdrawal with this card then you get no fees.

Yep, I just used this for a week in Malaysia, it worked perfectly 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2018
    Enormous suitcase filled to the brim with £50 notes.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    load up your Paypal and then then when you get there pay someone local!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I normally take a large wad of rolled up notes in a condom up my jacksy. 
    Yeah me too, nothing wrong with taking the money in cash in a wallet I just like the feeling of danger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited August 2018
    Mainly on the plane.

Those loaded Thomas Cook cards and using the local ATMs have worked for us.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Kebabkid said:
    Mainly on the plane.

Those loaded Thomas Cook cards and using the local ATMs have worked for us.
    I thought it was rain rather than money? 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    munckee said:8
    Markeebee said:
    I normally take a large wad of rolled up notes in a condom up my jacksy. 
    Yeah me too, nothing wrong with taking the money in cash in a wallet I just like the feeling of danger.
    I've already got loads of smack and coke hidden up my ringpiece along with some Heinz salad cream and bisto gravy granules, theres no room left for owt else....