1989 Heavy Metal Documentary

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
edited August 2018 in Music
I went for years thinking this Documentary was an "Equinox" Episode. I then remembered the series "Arena".

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you......................Heavy Metal.

Enjoy.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Thought there'd be a few of us on here with the "Shit, I ain't seen this in ages" sentiment. It's a real blast from the past.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    thanks, will have to watch that again - remember my parents letting me watch this on holiday in Wales!! Also remember this:   which was also fairly amusing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Thanks - what a flashback! Absolutely my era, had forgotten about seeing it until Brucie D turned up - certainly entertaining, not sure I'd want to be in a small room with the fella tho!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    Oooh! Must watch this. the NWOBHM was a great thing for me. Happy days!
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    OMG! I remember this!!!! Thanks so much.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    Our very own @RobDavies tracked down the legendary Mitch Hale. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    thanks, will have to watch that again - remember my parents letting me watch this on holiday in Wales!! Also remember this:   which was also fairly amusing.
    Bloody hell I remember this - fantastic.

Was there another, similar episode or series with an indie outfit that sounded a lot like the Wonderstuff?
    randella said:
    Bloody hell I remember this - fantastic.

Was there another, similar episode or series with an indie outfit that sounded a lot like the Wonderstuff?
    may well have been, I'll take a look later. I'm pretty sure there was a much later follow-up about that Chris Needham chap too, can't remember where that was though. Going back to @Bellycaster 's original post, I think that was the first time Thomas McRocklin was properly on TV - I remember being insanely jealous of his floral Jem back then, and to make matters worse, my next-door-neighbour then got one. Remember looking forward to this program so much and not being sure if my parents would let me watch it as it might have swearing in it. I think it was on at 8-9ish or something too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2018
    Ive still got this on a VHs tape from when it was on, part of BBC2's 'Heavy Metal' season presented by Elvira - they also had seperate programmes with concert footage from Metallica and Slayer as well - the Slayer footage is phenomenal and blew my mind as a 14 year old..

In Bed with Chris Needham was filmed mostly in the town and small village a few minutes from where I sit now - it is still the best document of what it meant to be a teenage metalhead in a small fairly shit town in the late 80s/early 90s
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    Ive still got this on a VHs tape from when it was on, part of BBC2's 'Heavy Metal' season presented by Elvira - they also had seperate programmes with concert footage from Metallica and Slayer as well - the Slayer footage is phenomenal and blew my mind as a 14 year old..

In Bed with Chris Needham was filmed mostly in the town and small village a few minutes from where I sit now - it is still the best document of what it meant to be a teenage metalhead in a small fairly shit town in the late 80s/early 90s
    I was at that Slayer gig, and was at one of the Metallica gigs at Hammersmith that week but not sure if it was the one they filmed. 
    edited August 2018
    Reverend said:

I was at that Slayer gig, and was at one of the Metallica gigs at Hammersmith that week but not sure if it was the one they filmed. 
    Awesome - Im pretty jealous - I particularly remember my mate and I being impressed by Tom Araya's at the time unsurpassed headbanging skills during the spider crawl riff part of Raining Blood
    Wahey! That's better. I should've been less cryptic with the original thread title I suppose.

@Vibetronic

WTF is that Chris Needham thing? It was a bloody good watch though, is there anymore of that it'd be hilarious to see it all. Was it a BBC Documentary?
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

Ha...  Cool stuff I think I remember that too..

I love the way Lars is just interviewed in a pub with a beer...  What a different world we live in now.

tFB Trader

Heres more (seems part 3 is missing)

Damn @Rabs ;, never noticed part 3 missing at the time. I maybe had a couple of Light Ales. Bugger, I must see part 3.
    tFB Trader
    Damn @Rabs ;, never noticed part 3 missing at the time. I maybe had a couple of Light Ales. Bugger, I must see part 3.

Hmm.. Odd... It seems it is on youtube but has content blocked in the UK

This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Wahey! That's better. I should've been less cryptic with the original thread title I suppose.

@Vibetronic

WTF is that Chris Needham thing? It was a bloody good watch though, is there anymore of that it'd be hilarious to see it all. Was it a BBC Documentary?
    I can't remember - I'll have to look it up and jog my memory. I thought I remembered it as being part of the documentary you posted about, but I was obviously wrong! Pretty sure it was either BBC or Channel 4 though. (Actually, I couldn't leave it alone  - it was a BBC2 Video Diaries thing, apparently!)
    The whole of In Bed with Chris Needham is available on YouTube
  • Great video. Best bit for me was Jimmy Page playing Kashmir on an acoustic.