What's Hot
gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
edited July 2020 in Making & Modding

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    I don't have a copy, but it sounds fairly straightforward. Wire the neck and bridge pickups with the master volume and tone exactly as a Telecaster. Then wire the middle pickup to the first tone control (but wired as vol control) and wire the output of this mid pickup vol control either to the output of the lever switch (in parallel) if you want further vol control/tone control of the mid pickup, or in parallel to the output of the master volume if you want to be able to voice the mid pickup alone (with master volume turned down).
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9500
    edited July 2018
    edited July 2020
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited July 2018
    I have this wiring on a couple of my strats, works well:

https://www.mojotone.com/support/Schematics-for-Pickups-and-Guitars/wiring-diagram-strat-blender

don't think it's the same circuit from your description, but it does get the the N+B and N+M+B combinations.

Sorry - just read you're wanting to go back to stock from the modded circuit, so no help I guess.
    edited July 2020
    edited July 2020

@gringopig what I described, what @thermionic linked to and what you have shown above with the Memphis mod are all identical, just drawn differently. 
    edited July 2020
    @gringopig you are correct w.r.t. the tone pot, which comes after the volumes Gibson 50's style - I hadn't spotted that. But in both Nashville and Memphis circuits the output of the volumes are wired in parallel, whether at the output jack or adjacent to the pots themselves. In electrical terms the switching and volume arrangements are equivalent, only the tone control is different. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It's not Gibson-style 50s wiring, because the volume pots are wired 'backwards' - it's actually Jazz Bass wiring. The reason 50s wiring works the way it does is because the tone controls is connected to the *wiper* of the pot, not the top of the track - so as you turn down the volume, the tone control is being effectively (relative to the lower resistance of the volume pot to ground at that point) turned up.

If you want 50s wiring you would have to swap the connections on the 'main' volume control, which would also make it into a master volume rather than just for the neck and bridge pickups as it is there.

It's also important to replace the two volume controls with 500K pots as shown in the first diagram, since they are in parallel and will give a total of only 125K if you use the original 250K pots, which will dull the tone a bit.

Personally, having tried a lot of this sort of thing over the years for myself and customers, I've come to the conclusion that none of the ways of rewiring the pots are actually problem-free, all are something of a faff to use, and in the end I've just gone back to standard Strat wiring. If you want a 'Tele' sound you're better off with a switch (push-pull if you don't want to drill a hole).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited July 2020
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
    No worries mate, I've been using it as a bookmark in a book of amp mods for years :)
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    ICBM said:

Personally, having tried a lot of this sort of thing over the years for myself and customers, I've come to the conclusion that none of the ways of rewiring the pots are actually problem-free, all are something of a faff to use, and in the end I've just gone back to standard Strat wiring. 
    Do you give the bridge pickup a tone control? Which pickups are best at sharing a tone knob?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    bbill335 said:

Do you give the bridge pickup a tone control? Which pickups are best at sharing a tone knob?
    Either no tone control on the bridge pickup or shared with the middle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15927
    edited August 2018
    Is this possible?

Position 1 (nearest the bridge) bridge PU
    Position 2 bridge & middle
    position 3 bridge & neck
    position 4 middle & neck
    position 5 neck

the only thing changed here ^  from std Strat is position 3 ( changed to mimic the Tele's neck and bridge PU config)

and could i have a bridge tone pot and the other tone pot for the neck?

I am not a Stratty type so can anyone see any "faults" with my PUP config above?
    tae be or not tae be
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    Yes If you have a superswitch, but not with a standard. I have a Strats wired like that.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15927
    OK I'd maybe forget that as i don't want a super switch.....would a push/pull replace the super switch for the job?

and what is the best switching set up for a simple tone pot on the bridge PUP?

thanks Norm  :)
    tae be or not tae be