Ólafur Arnalds

stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
edited July 2018 in Music
In a new twist to the hilarity that is the "are fx cheating?" saga, there's this guy. 

I first got introduced to him by a chap in Iceland at the beginning of the year and he's a complete genius. Well worth watching the full NPR video, but in particular the last song (from 10:10 in the video below).

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    This one's also stunning. Music starts around 3:35

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    That is immensely great.

Hadn't heard of him before but that is such an interesting idea and very well executed too.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    edited July 2018
    If you like him, Nils Frahm is also worth a go. This takes a little while to get going but it's worth it. 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Liked Ólafur Arnalds since I heard his album Eulogy for evolution was released around 2008. It sold out and went out of print but was re-released in 2017. Worth a listen - it's a minor masterpiece. He also wrote the music for the TV series Broadchurch. I have 6 or 7 of his CDs. Found songs is accessible and worth a listen.

As @Sporky says Nils Frahm is also worth checking out. He's made some albums with Ólafur Arnalds - 'an evening with' is a live album of Nordic electronica and is very good whilst 'Stare' is more of an ambient album with only three tracks. If you want to check out Nils on his own then the album 'Solo' is a good place to start.

Max Richter is also worth checking out - avoid most of his film sound tracks. His album 'Sleep' is worth checking out. It comes in two formats - the full recording which is 8 hours long or a compilation at a standard hour. Worth a listen.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Cheers all. Will look up the Frahm chap.

From Arnalds I like Island Songs the most, but haven't got through everything of his yet. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Fretwired said:
    Max Richter... "Sleep"...  a compilation at a standard hour. Worth a listen.
    Thank you.  That's a good recommendation, I played it yesterday.  
    It's clearly not instant gratification but it's probably worth two marshmallows on further listening.
    That was my thought anyway.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    For Max I like the Blue Notebooks best. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I came across Nils Frahm earlier this year, when he was on tour. Superb gig.
    Got chatting to a couple of people at the gig, who were long term fans of his music. They recommended his CD "Felt", which I bought along with his latest one. "Felt" is well worth it. They also recommended his collaboration with Arnalds, though I have yet to buy it.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    edited August 2018
    Olafur is a class musician - this from the Island Songs series is a complete spine-tingler...

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    @ewal - yup, absolutely gorgeous. I like the 2nd OM&M album but would very much like her to do more with Arnalds. I could pretty much listen to this one forever
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    @ewal - yup, absolutely gorgeous. I like the 2nd OM&M album but would very much like her to do more with Arnalds. I could pretty much listen to this one forever
    In a vicarious showing off sort of way, I have to at this point mention that my mate Richie (drummer in my band) is the regular live sound guy for OM&M. I keep on asking him to get us a gig in Iceland!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    Nice! We saw them on a beach in Dubai a few years ago, supporting the Killers. They were great, those it was *utterly* the wrong venue for them. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Nils Frahm's piano .. if you like the sound Native Instruments have created a virtual instrument ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited August 2018
    Ólafur has a haunting yet relaxing sound and his bleep bloop pianos remind me of the iPhone music app 'Bloom' which was written by Brian Eno. Lovely stuff. 
    Ólafur explains more about his pianos here