P/J pickup options

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    The OP will have to feed the output conductors from each pickup towards the controls cavity through two drilled holes. Then, there is the matter of the mini switch location. There is a limit to how much pre-assembly is possible.

If you went for a handwound set ...
    ... they can be calibrated for the best possible level and tonal balance.

the cost of a geezer butler set
    The EMG-GZR PJ pair typically retails for £170 and the single P for anything between £90 and £110. I dare say that a pre-owned pair could be obtained in the latter price range.

You’ll easily get a handwound set for under £170...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1560
    Gear4music have a few of the p/j for 125 ATM, but I reckon funkfingers is right about waiting for a more distinctive alternative for the bridge
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited July 2018
    You’ll easily get a handwound set for under £170...
    ... and Green Shield Stamps to boot. :-p
    Be seeing you.
    horse said:
    a b157 ... seems fairly pricey for what it is, if I have to buy a full wiring kit to get one
    You don't have to buy a complete EMG wiring accessory kit just to get a B157. I probably have one for every solderless EMG guitar pickup that has ever passed through my hands. 
    Be seeing you.
    horse said:
    a b157 ... seems fairly pricey for what it is, if I have to buy a full wiring kit to get one
    You don't have to buy a complete EMG wiring accessory kit just to get a B157. I probably have one for every solderless EMG guitar pickup that has ever passed through my hands. 
     That's good to know - I just googled and only found the kits for sale. Where is good to buy just the bus?
    Bear with me while I check something in the EMG schematic diagrams and scribble ideas on a sheet of paper.

In the meantime, I am certain that Bridgehouse will be keen to assist with your decision.
    Be seeing you.
    I've had another peep under the plate and think the tunnel might be wide enough for the connector. Pots are alphas, so think the emg ones will fit without altering the holes in the plate?

@Funkfingers - can you think of any reasons it might not be a good idea for me to go ahead and order the p pickup, with a view to adding something different at the bridge later on?
    horse said:
    I've had another peep under the plate and think the tunnel might be wide enough for the connector. Pots are alphas, so think the emg ones will fit without altering the holes in the plate?
    The EMG 250k pot shafts are 8.5mm. 
    horse said:
    any reasons it might not be a good idea for me to go ahead and order the p pickup, with a view to adding something different at the bridge later on?
    1. The EMG-GZR J pickup does not seem to be available separately. 
    2. You would lose the price advantage for buying two pickups, from one manufacturer, as a pair.
    3. You need to be certain that the EMG-GZR sound is right for your needs.
    4. Mixing and matching two different brands (and two wiring conventions) will force some modifications to the EMG wiring. This will invalidate the warranty.

Obviously, if the block connectors will pass through the tunnels, you can begin with a straightforward installation - as per the supplied instructions and the EMG TV video posted earlier in this thread.

For the immediate future, the mini switch in your bass will be redundant. 

Be seeing you.
    horse said:
    The EMG 250k pot shafts are 8.5mm. 
    horse said:
    any reasons it might not be a good idea for me to go ahead and order the p pickup, with a view to adding something different at the bridge later on?
    1. The EMG-GZR J pickup does not seem to be available separately. 
    2. You would lose the price advantage for buying two pickups, from one manufacturer, as a pair.
    3. You need to be certain that the EMG-GZR sound is right for your needs.
    4. Mixing and matching two different brands (and two wiring conventions) will force some modifications to the EMG wiring. This will invalidate the warranty.

Obviously, if the block connectors will pass through the tunnels, you can begin with a straightforward installation - as per the supplied instructions and the EMG TV video posted earlier in this thread.

For the immediate future, the mini switch in your bass will be redundant. 

Thanks - I think I'll go for it
    Righto.

FYI, I scribbled down a couple schematic diagrams for two pickups and a selector switch into Master Volume and Master Tone controls - with and without resorting to the EMG B157 buss board. 

In my opinion, the B157 will squeeze into either of the gaps between the pots and jack socket. The advantage of using it is that you avoid cutting any of the stock EMG-GZR interconnect cables. The downside is that the B157 occupies a surprisingly large amount of space. (Board + velcro = 18mm. The protruding portion of the block connectors and wires require another 8 or 9mm.)

In the unlikely event that you were to run with just the GZR-P pickup and add one of EMG's active EQ accessories, the B157 could become a downright nuisance.

Be seeing you.
    Righto.

FYI, I scribbled down a couple schematic diagrams for two pickups and a selector switch into Master Volume and Master Tone controls - with and without resorting to the EMG B157 buss board. 

In my opinion, the B157 will squeeze into either of the gaps between the pots and jack socket. The advantage of using it is that you avoid cutting any of the stock EMG-GZR interconnect cables. The downside is that the B157 occupies a surprisingly large amount of space. (Board + velcro = 18mm. The protruding portion of the block connectors and wires require another 8 or 9mm.)

In the unlikely event that you were to run with just the GZR-P pickup and add one of EMG's active EQ accessories, the B157 could become a downright nuisance.

Yeah, it looked like there was a fair amount of space between the jack socket and tone pot.

So where could I get the b157 bus from? Can't see them listed anywhere, although it seems that if you're in the US they will send you one for free....

I nearly went for the pj set from gear4music on the basis of vfm, but I think this plan is better and so it would be money wasted eventually. It's a nice bass and has had very little spent on it since about 94, so it's well worth a bit of investment to give it a new lease of life.

Thanks to you and @Bridgehouse for giving me a steer on this.
    horse said:
    So, where could I get the b157 bus from?
    PM coming up. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    From memory the Geezer P at least will be the tone you are looking for - the chat on talkbass seems to be that it’s a good pickup to record with. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Personally, for fully passive, I would go for the standard Dimarzio PJ set.  They are not overly expensive but they sound great to my ears.

Personally, for fully passive, I would go for the standard Dimarzio PJ set.  They are not overly expensive but they sound great to my ears.

I have a set in my PJ - love them, but I don't think they sound vintage, which is what @horse is after

I have a set in my PJ - love them, but I don't think they sound vintage, which is what @horse is after
     This is true. Also the emg p has been delivered today - looking forward to fitting it and giving it a go
    horse said:

This is true. Also the emg p has been delivered today - looking forward to fitting it and giving it a go
    Good job!
    for fully passive, I would go for the standard Dimarzio PJ set. They are not overly expensive but they sound great to my ears.

I have a set in my PJ - love them but I don't think they sound vintage, which is what @horse is after
    The DiMarzio Model P and Model J pickups - and, for that matter, the DP146 Will Power Middle - use underslung ceramic bar magnets and height adjustable grub screw polepieces. Nice, powerful, noise-cancelling bass pickups but not vintage sounding.

The EMG-GZR pickups have Alnico rod magnet polepieces. In my opinion, this is a major factor in the vintage sound. The attack transient is more believable than the DiMarzios. 

I have an EMG-GZR PJ pair in a Squier VM Precision Bass, currently sporting roundwound strings. Unsurprisingly, these pickups work well with drop tunings and a crunchy sound. 

Be seeing you.
    Successfully installed the emg thanks chaps - only challenge was the amount of very sticky disintegrating foam that spread everywhere from under the old ones.

Put new foam under, but think I screwed the new ones down a bit too far and they've not raised since I relaxed the screws, but it sounds fine anyhow - definitely less polished than the old emgs. Proof of pudding will be how it sits in a mix, but too hot for that right now.
    Excellent news. Give the new pickup a good blast before forming any conclusions. 
    Be seeing you.