How to use non-tap-tempo delay?

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
I've bought a cheap delay pedal to try as I've heard people say that they can thicken up your sound and give a bit more sustain.
But I can't work out how to set it without it sounding out of time with what I'm playing. Any tips on how to set it to stop it clashing? Or should I just go back to a tap-tempo delay like I'm used to?
Thanks!
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Shortish delay and mix low with minimal repeats for thickening. If the mix is too high and delay too long you perceive the timing discrepancies more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    The tone of the repeats can also be a factor. Too bright and they can get in the way. There's a reason why darker delay pedals like the MXR carbon copy, DMM and the Ibanez Echomachine are favoured for this type of role. They can sit just under the notes you are actually playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    If you want to thicken your sound by creating the illusion of a second guitar playing almost in time with you (doubling), go for a very short delay time with no repeats.

For a more obvious echo that still doesn’t get in the way, try to get the repeat to fall half way between the beats. It’s also worth bearing in mind that the delayed notes will sound less prominent when you are playing in a band setting than when you are playing on your own at home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    You can also use quite a prominent single delay for a rockabilly slapback.
    As has been said you can have more feedback and have it sit under what you are playing ( similar to a long reverb). Whilst darker delays are usually better for this you could try mixing delay and modulation for this kind of ambient wash. 
    Adding reverb to delay will soften and extend the delay tails which can sound more natural and, again, sits under what you are playing rather than fighting against it .
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    are you using clean or dirty ?  in a loop or in front ? 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    Shortish delay and mix low with minimal repeats for thickening. If the mix is too high and delay too long you perceive the timing discrepancies more.
    Thanks @Moe_Zambeek I'll have a play with it set like that.
    randerson said: The tone of the repeats can also be a factor. Too bright and they can get in the way. There's a reason why darker delay pedals like the MXR carbon copy, DMM and the Ibanez Echomachine are favoured for this type of role. They can sit just under the notes you are actually playing.
    @randerson I'll try knocking the tone down too, I hadn't thought about that - thanks.

My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    JMP220478 said:
    are you using clean or dirty ?  in a loop or in front ? 
    @JMP220478 generally it's clean and in front of the amp (although I've got a loop on my amp but haven't tried it in that)