NGD - J45

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5113
Hi everyone,

Finally picked up my J45 today after playing loads across the country.

Settled on this one. It has that distinctive midrangeyness that J45s have, but with a lovely bass and treble to surround it. Really clear across all strings and plays great too.

I'll use this one for live work with the band, alongside some more sedate open mic-type stuff. Never had anything with electronics before so that is completely new territory for me.

Acoustically its a great companion to my HD35 which is quite scooped in the mids.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for helping me in the previous threads, it was all very very helpful.

Couple of pics...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Nice! Very different sounding guitars indeed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Lovely stuff. Happy NGD.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Nice looking burst on that one - and a nice dark bridge and board, too.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Lovely. If there was a guitar that looked like a J45 but sounded like a D28, I would be all over it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    So to a complete acoustic noob, are these very similar in design, but different sounding due to the woods, or is there more to it than that?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    ^ I'm a complete acoustic noob too, but I think there must be more to it than that... the scale length is different, i'm guessing (could be wrong) the bracing is too, so's the fretboard wood. the shape is quite a bit different, as well.

I haven't tried an HD35, but I tried a D28, and I didn't really like it (don't get me wrong, if someone had given me one for free I'd absolutely have taken it, lol, just for what they cost I wasn't super-keen... I seem to find regular square-shouldered dreadnoughts a bit boomy and scooped), whereas I loved the J45 I tried.

Excellent score on the j45, by the way, @terada - I already gave you a wow a few days ago when you posted the thread, but now I've posted it seemed a bit churlish not to actually comment on the thing since wows are anonymous. :)
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Dave_Mc said:
    ^ I'm a complete acoustic noob too, but I think there must be more to it than that... the scale length is different, i'm guessing (could be wrong) the bracing is too, so's the fretboard wood. the shape is quite a bit different, as well.

I haven't tried an HD35, but I tried a D28, and I didn't really like it (don't get me wrong, if someone had given me one for free I'd absolutely have taken it, lol, just for what they cost I wasn't super-keen... I seem to find regular square-shouldered dreadnoughts a bit boomy and scooped), whereas I loved the J45 I tried.

Excellent score on the j45, by the way, @terada - I already gave you a wow a few days ago when you posted the thread, but now I've posted it seemed a bit churlish not to actually comment on the thing since wows are anonymous. :)
    Thanks! You are right there are quite a few differences between these.

@hubobulous ;
    Obviously every guitar (even two of the same model) will have their differences, but spec wise these are some of the main differences:

Back & sides: J45 Mahogany/HD35 East Indian Rosewood
    Fretboard & Bridge: J45 Rosewood/HD35 Ebony
    Bracing: J45 Scalloped with heavier brace above the sound hole/HD35 Scalloped 1/4" (i.e. super light)
    Scale: J45 Short/HD35 Long
    Back: J45 2 piece/HD35 3 piece
    Nut width: J45 1.725"/HD35 1 11/16" (narrower)
    Shape: J45 Slope Shoulder/HD35 Square Shoulder

Playability wise the scale makes quite a big difference, while for sound (and this is a big generalisation) the Martin D28/HD28/D35/HD35 etc tend to sound increasingly bassy and scooped as you go up the range (due to progressively lighter bracing), while the J45 has a flatter response, so you get a lot more mids.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @terada - thanks for that. The J45 has always appealed and your descriptions confirm my impressions on what to expect. Might start the long search soon :-)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    terada said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Thanks! You are right there are quite a few differences between these.

@hubobulous ;
    Obviously every guitar (even two of the same model) will have their differences, but spec wise these are some of the main differences:

Back & sides: J45 Mahogany/HD35 East Indian Rosewood
    Fretboard & Bridge: J45 Rosewood/HD35 Ebony
    Bracing: J45 Scalloped with heavier brace above the sound hole/HD35 Scalloped 1/4" (i.e. super light)
    Scale: J45 Short/HD35 Long
    Back: J45 2 piece/HD35 3 piece
    Nut width: J45 1.725"/HD35 1 11/16" (narrower)
    Shape: J45 Slope Shoulder/HD35 Square Shoulder

Playability wise the scale makes quite a big difference, while for sound (and this is a big generalisation) the Martin D28/HD28/D35/HD35 etc tend to sound increasingly bassy and scooped as you go up the range (due to progressively lighter bracing), while the J45 has a flatter response, so you get a lot more mids.

Definitely right about different guitars of the same model... I was actually out trying guitars yesterday, and tried a J45 (a different one from the one I'd tried before and loved). Didn't like it at all, lol. Plus I also suspect I might be changing my mind about the square-shouldered dreadnoughts, too.

I used to be indecisive and now I'm not so sure and all that... :D