EBay scam listings tonight....

What's Hot
mortmort Frets: 719
Just had a look at ‘Newly listed’ Gibsons on EBay tonight, the first 50 listed are all scam listings. Bloody ridiculous! I know this is flagged up a lot, but this is the first time I’ve seen it completely flooded. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    It’s the weekend - people think ebay are at home drinking prosecco and eating wasabi nuts so they go mad on the hijack account postings.

Giveaways include starting prices of £4.38 for a genuine 1959 Les Paul, and listings for said guitar by gardenshedsdirectinnorfolk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    It’s been a regular occurrence for the past 3-4 weeks. Their persistence might indicate that it pays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    I report loads each weekend. Last weekend from a total of four hijacked accounts, this weekend from three accounts so far. Always the same pattern/type of listings, always trying to stear you out of eBay to a fake eBay shop starting www.ebay.(randombullshitetc) such that the web address looks to the casual observer like a genuine ebay address. The listings get pulled pretty quickly, but soon pop up again from another compromised account.

People who aren't too internet savvy might get fooled into parting with their cash - poor sods.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The_Whisper_ThiefThe_Whisper_Thief Frets: 98
    edited July 2018
    Ive noticed loads of these recently too. Lots in the studio equipment listings. All of them have the same item description with “click on this link to buy now for £2250”, same price for every item. They have unique and very thorough, accurate descriptions though?!!! Ive noticed the same “M.O.” with three different sellers the past 2 weeks

Is there a way to report a seller rather than the individual listing? I think someone looking at the listing in isolation would think it is legit but the sellers had hundreds of these bogus listings 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Pretty much made Ebay unusable at weekends - I can’t be bothered with wading through the same repeated fake ads to find something I’m looking for.       
    All my saved searches have the same fake listings repeated over and over - as soon as they are taken down another couple appear.    
    Must be enough profit in the scams to make it worthwhile.  
  • Scammers about again this evening (Sat 18/8). Don't buy.anything from Boopstuff.

They will probably pop up again on another hacked account once eBay pull the initial batch of ads.

I wish it was possibe to report a seller, rather than individual listings.
    eBay appear to be on the ball this weekend. Scammer has tried hacking two accounts and listings have been removed very quickly. Perhaps they’ve finally put a tag on the listing headings (they never change) or have some other method of flagging them up.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited August 2018
    There’s a dealer I know who listed a guitar on eBay - but sold it through his shop and has now been invoiced by them.

Apart from occasionally browsing, I’ve never got close to either buying or selling on there.
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    There’s a dealer I know who listed a guitar on eBay - but sold it through his shop and has now been invoiced by them.

Apart from occasionally browsing, I’ve never got close to either buying or selling on there.
    You can remove a BIN listing, or auction listing that has no bids and not get charged.

Once you have bids you will now get charged if you end early. 

If you’re listing things that you have for sale elsewhere you need to be very careful!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    mort said:

You can remove a BIN listing, or auction listing that has no bids and not get charged.

Once you have bids you will now get charged if you end early. 

If you’re listing things that you have for sale elsewhere you need to be very careful!
    He’s stopped using eBay as a result of this....
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    any reason not to get this? seems cheap, legit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323400865802?ul_noapp=true
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Hmm, might be handy being a lefty for once..
    They're back...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Bass-1964-Left-Handed-Sunburst-w-original-case-not-a-re-issue/173484599198?hash=item28647ce79e:g:WjUAAOSwO2lbey5w

Notice how they say they have three 64 Jazz Basses. Just in case someone clicks on Buy It Now I suppose.