Best modelling amp for bedroom

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Intrigued to try a Katana based on this feedback!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    AndrewM said:
    I've got the king of all digital amps (in my opinion of course) in the Kemper in my dining room.

I want something for upstairs in my spare room. Mainly I like to play clean or slightly pushed but I do like to riff out with something like a dual rectifier or bogner uberschall type sound.

Is the Boss Katana (50 or 100) the best or are any of the other options worth looking at too?
    If you have a Kemper you will be disappointed with an entry level modelling amp. Get another Kemper .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    How do you listen to the Kemper?

I'd be tempted to just move the Kemper. If you want to spend money get some other speakers you don’t need to move, and double up on cabling so you’re only unplugging and replugging the Kemper.

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    The Katana looks great, and I'm looking to own one myself. But based purely on experience, I wholeheartedly recommend the THR range (I'm currently using a THR10C).

Like @rossyamaha , this lil box just makes me want to plug into it all the damn time. It's also capable of some really great tones with my Martin DRS1, but I'm yet to try the bass mode on it, so I can't really comment on that.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    As is well known on here, I had a Katana 100 for a few months and moved it on after struggling with its slightly unnatural dynamics at gigging volume, but last Saturday I was given a Strat and a Katana 50 and pushed onstage at a jam, and it worked wonderfully. 

I'm not going back to Katanas live because I know from experience how venue-sensitive they can be, but I vastly preferred the 50 to the 100. Although it obviously sounds more boxy because of the smaller cab and possibly the different speaker, it sat more naturally in the mix in a kind of tweedy way which I loved. 

If anyone is shifting a used 50 let me know, I'd love one for the house and maybe as a backup. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    I found with the Katanas they lacked a little bass response stock. But if you fire up the tone studio software you can compensate with either the global eq or just adding an eq effect for that channel/bank. 

Ive managed to get a rather nice edge of breakup plexi like clean channel and a nice dual rec sounding gain channel and I’m now very happy with the Katana 50. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Alnico said:

I reckon I've found "My amp" and definitely found my sound with the Katana, it's just a case of landing on the right format for my main amp now.

I LOVE the Katana Artist 100...
    In honesty, I think that's the one I'll end up with as my main amp and they're currently £480 at Andertons which isn't exactly eye-watering money.
    What venue could you be playing where it would be too big for the Katana 50 to fill but too small to just mic it up and go through the PA?

When we did the Northampton jam we used my Katana 50 in the main room all day and it had more than enough clout to keep up with a drummer in there.

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • AndrewMAndrewM Frets: 35

I'd be tempted to just move the Kemper. If you want to spend money get some other speakers you don’t need to move, and double up on cabling so you’re only unplugging and replugging the Kemper.

I'd look into that but the amount I get to play it's not worth the effort. 

I do have A THR10X that I think I've been using with a dodgy cable. If that's the reason it sounds weird I'll be happy with it in the bedroom. Otherwise I'll look to get a Katana.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Another vote for the Katana 50 here, it's just a fantastic amp for home playing. 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:

I reckon I've found "My amp" and definitely found my sound with the Katana, it's just a case of landing on the right format for my main amp now.

I LOVE the Katana Artist 100...
    In honesty, I think that's the one I'll end up with as my main amp and they're currently £480 at Andertons which isn't exactly eye-watering money.
    What venue could you be playing where it would be too big for the Katana 50 to fill but too small to just mic it up and go through the PA?

When we did the Northampton jam we used my Katana 50 in the main room all day and it had more than enough clout to keep up with a drummer in there.

The reasons I want the Artist 100 are not strictly the power, it's more about the features and the extra connectivity.

I agree with you, 50w is probably enough but the extra tone shaping you get with the Artist makes a big difference and so does that speaker plus it's got MIDI so my GT100 can tell it what to do without an extra footswitch bank to dance on. The 50 doesn't have an FX loop for 4cm and the Artist does plus it's got a better cabinet and, to my ears, sounds better.

I'm not getting rid of my 50 though.
    For all the reasons people have mentioned I'm keeping it because on it's own it's a great little amp and I think it's got a voice and a sound of it's own.

• I've got a THR10c at the moment which I've had for a couple of years. Sounds great but does have some shortcomings at volume and can flub a bit if pushed. 

I've been tempted to shift to the Adio but the Katana also interests me. The break the bank option is a Helix LT and some monitors. I know to some the THR is the best sounding practice amp but it seems that others are more satisfied with some of the other options. 

I'm more interested in cleans on break up or lightly overdriven hence the 10c. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    What worked best for me when I had my Katana was to run the Amp pretty much flat out and drive it from the guitar, sounded a lot more open and dynamic to me
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446

I must say Im 100% in agreement with this. The Kemper is so light, and so easy to move. 

Unless, of course, you want to buy something new and different !
    We all have that kinda gas :)
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    I agree with the Yamaha THR5, for low volume it has everything you need in a small body without blowing a fortune.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Another vote for Yamaha here. The THR10 has done wonders for my playing. Wish I'd got one a long time ago
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited August 2018
    Voting to move the Kemper. I mean do you really need two places to play guitar? Don’t get me wrong if I could I’d try to have guitars and amps in every room of the house but I just KNOW I would always move to wherever the best amp was anyway. 

I dont many situations where you could be happy playing any of these cheap modellers when you have a perfectly good Kemper set up in the same house!

unless 

A) your house is so huge that moving around rooms is a chore 

B ) there’s a physical reason you can’t move as often 

C) people sit where the Kemper is currently - in which case just move the Kemper! 

D) you are a filthy GAS whore. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    +1 for THR

I'm sure there are other more "ampy" sounding options, but for ease of use and portability the Yamaha stuff is outstanding.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires