Wudtone vs an Oil Finish

What's Hot
Would someone knowledgeable educate me please...

How does a Wudtone finish differ from say a tru-oil finish?

Are there significant differences? (apart from the fact that from my understanding Wudtone is offered in a range of colours)

Kind regards
Jay
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Not sure but people have had mixed results with Wudtone and I'm reluctant to use them.

I need to finish a new neck, I've used Tru oil before and it's easy to use and feels great, but doesn't add much colour to a maple neck.  So I'm currently researching how to add an amber tint to Tru Oil.

Will be interested to hear some more opinions on Wudtone for neck finishes.

What is it you are finishing?
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    An AllParts neck - maple / rosewood. And an alder Strat body.
     I have some tru oil, but  I find myself wondering when I see the nice finishes on the Wudtone website 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Wudtone is a proprietary finish, and it’s recipe is not published. I have read somewhere that it’s a mixture of spirit based wood dye and Osmo 3032. 

How does it differ differ from Tru-Oil? There are any number of wood finishes which are mixtures of oil, wax, and lacquer. They may also include dyes or pigment. Some, like Danish Oil, tend to soak in, some build up on the surface. Speaking of Danish Oil, that’s not a single recipe either.

That probably doesn’t leave you any wiser. What colour and finish do you want to achieve?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    I used to swear by Wudtone - although that generally followed a fair amount of swearing at it.

The Crimson stains are more reliable, in my experience.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

For the neck, Tru oil over stain may work.
    Based on a search I did on the forum, from a Wez recommendation, I’m going to try Tru oil over Wilko wood-stain for my rosewood/maple tele neck.

I’ve done tru oil over coffee before, albeit just for the worn back finish on a neck I sanded down, that turned out okay.  Might be a bit much for a full neck thought.   

Tru oil over alder looks okay, if a bit bland.
    It’s the girl-next-door wood, not stunning, but looks OK when dressed up.