So, this bloke J J Cale.

What's Hot

Comments

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    ICBM said:
    Pick an album, any album. They all sound exactly the same.

i.e.  Great
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    "Music" that just chugs along with no real excitement, no key changes, very little harmonic progression even. Clapton's most boring work was JJ Cale covers, and the first Dire Straits album, well, I ask you. Compared to the others (especially the epically brilliant Love Over Gold) it's a total yawn.

If you want to hear lots of key changes and harmonic progression hang around lifts and supermarkets;) 

or just get into some decent prog rock
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    fob said:
    ICBM said:
    i.e.  Great
    I had about half a dozen of them. The first I got was Travel-Log - I think just because it was the current one when I first discovered him - and it was my favourite, I don't know whether just for that reason or because it's actually the best.

After that I found it progressively more difficult to listen to yet another album with the exact same mix of same-rhythm, same-tempo, same-arrangement, same-sounding songs - there were even corresponding slightly-different songs on each album.

In the end I got bored with him and gave them all away.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    "Music" that just chugs along with no real excitement, no key changes, very little harmonic progression even. Clapton's most boring work was JJ Cale covers, and the first Dire Straits album, well, I ask you. Compared to the others (especially the epically brilliant Love Over Gold) it's a total yawn.

If you want to hear lots of key changes and harmonic progression hang around lifts and supermarkets;) 

Isn't that a contradiction in terms. ☺

Isn't that a contradiction in terms. ☺
    Not if your favourite examples of the genre include Focus, and Camel.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

decent prog rock
    Oxymoron:- a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (such as cruel kindness); broadly : something (such as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements e.g. 'decent prog rock'
    mate, I know what oxymoron means and you couldn't be more wrong in using the word the way you did!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    The only one I have is Travel-Log. I'm not even sure why I bought it, but I really like it. It's a great album if you're in a certain mood.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    It sounds to me like maybe a Greatest Hits is the way to go on this one.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    ICBM said:
    not like any other artist then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Terry Wogan once played Cale's "Closer To You" on his morning show after the 9am watershed and expressed his enjoyment of the line "I wish I was your underwear, hanging round your waist, Every time you shake that thing I'd get a little taste".

Almost swerved across the M4 when Tel said it!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Such disdain in this thread... yet I never see posts on this forum on how utterly shite a band Muse are :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    ICBM said:
    don't fix what ain't broke.

OP, JJ's consistency of part of how he was, it's like reading a long novel not a magazine, it takes time.

I really like J Cale Live (2001).
    yawn ...
    but in a good way.
    thing about JJ is, he's like a sculptor not a painter - his genius is in taking away what's not needed. what's left is essential.

he's in my top 5, which is odd because I mostly like hard crunch rock.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I love JJ Cale but I can understand that sometimes you need to be in the right frame of mind to listen to a lot of him... I bought the tribute album ‘the breeze’ which was lots of artists doing his tunes :)
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    Such disdain in this thread... yet I never see posts on this forum on how utterly shite a band Muse are :)

My next post will be about Gary Glitter's catalogue I think. A much easier process...
    ICBM said:
    No, not really. With other acts you can tell the difference between their albums even if you're not familiar enough to say which is which. But trust me, once you've heard one JJ Cale song you've heard 'em all and you'll wish you hadn't heard the first one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    ICBM said:
    No, not really. With other acts you can tell the difference between their albums even if you're not familiar enough to say which is which. But trust me, once you've heard one JJ Cale song you've heard 'em all and you'll wish you hadn't heard the first one
    Much like your conversational stye then. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited August 2018
    So someone who’s interested in JJ Cale posts asking for recommendations from people who are familiar with his work. 

What’s the point of those who don’t ‘get’ his music contributing at all? Why not start a thread of your own called ‘The isn’t JJ Cale Shite’ thread, or something similar?

Still - heartening to see tFBers with the taste, intelligence and sensitivity to appreciate him....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom