Vietnam Conflict.

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
The Vietnam war has always been one of those things i 'know' about but have never really known the full story beyond films etc..

It's not something that was ever touched upon in History class back at school..
So i started reading up on it, started watching the Ken Burns documentary etc. 

Turns out Rambo didn't fully educate me on it.. And there seems to be so much bias one way or another. All in all sounds pretty horrible. 

On watching all this, reading about etc the music has really resonated with me. There is a very distinctive 'vibe' of the era.. and i love it. 

Much of it i've heard before but, context really giving new insight. 

Apocalypse Now is now a better film (it was already great).

What are your favourite 'Nam inspired songs and whatnot?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I like Born in the USA springsteen. And Stan Ridgeway Camouflage. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I worked with a guy named Jim Stone who was a US Marine during the Vietnam war. Got invalided out after he had to jump from a chopper that was hit with his rifle and a full pack. The chopper wasn't far from the ground but he was a big buy with a heavy pack and his knees gave way. He used to tell some stories mostly about killing time and boredom rather than people. He did say that it was disorganised chaos and he wasn't trained for the conditions. A lot of very scare young men. Awful war.

At least Harold Wilson listened to the UK's military and kept us out. An unwinnable war.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    That Ken Burns docu is amazing, I learnt so much from that.

There's a Huey helicopter that does the airshow scene in the UK, the unmistakable noise just evokes so much emotion. That's the true soundtrack of Vietnam.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I know spectacularly little about the conflict although song wise I guess it's Fortunate Son.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Fretwired said:
    I worked with a guy named Jim Stone who was a US Marine during the Vietnam war. Got invalided out after he had to jump from a chopper that was hit with his rifle and a full pack. The chopper wasn't far from the ground but he was a big buy with a heavy pack and his knees gave way. He used to tell some stories mostly about killing time and boredom rather than people. He did say that it was disorganised chaos and he wasn't trained for the conditions. A lot of very scare young men. Awful war.

At least Harold Wilson listened to the UK's military and kept us out. An unwinnable war.
    Bizarrely my dad was in the services at the time and he and his chums were disappointed not to get involved with Korea and Vietnam.  The Americans and Australians were very bitter that we didn't follow them in after they felt they had sent their young to die in Europe during WW2.

Of course 20 minutes in the jungle might have changed their view!
  • westwest Frets: 994

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    There are a couple of documentary series about the Vietnam war.

One is 3 or 4 episodes and gets shown on things like the History Channel and Yesterday. Very good, and because it's mainly a series of talking heads interspersed with film shot at the time it seems very real.

There's another one, about 10 episodes, which was on recently. I've not seen it.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I know spectacularly little about the conflict although song wise I guess it's Fortunate Son.
    Yep, that pretty much summed me up too.. 
    scrumhalf said:

There's another one, about 10 episodes, which was on recently. I've not seen it.
    That's be the Ken Burns one. 

Again lots of talking heads and old clips, and it's really detailed as it goes through the conflict literally month by month, and from both sides on the ground, and the politicians and the growth of the anti-war movement back in the states.

The strongest parts is the vets talking, you can really see the horror in their eyes. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Pink - I Have Seen The Rain.

Written by her dad, who was there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Did they mention the French kicking it off, then f*cking off ?  :/

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Right, ordered a book about Vietnam for my  Kindle app. I shall absorb knowledge by osmosis when I pick my ipad up. Hope to eventually read it when I go to Belgium in October.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Jalapeno said:
    Did they mention the French kicking it off, then f*cking off ?  :/

Episode 1 :)
    ICBM said:
    Pink - I Have Seen The Rain.

Written by her dad, who was there.
    That was great, enjoyed that thanks @ICBM ;
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I'm currently re-watching the Ken Burns series. I saw it when BBC4 ran it and then recorded it when PBS America ran it recently, as the BBC showed heavily edited (down to 1 hour per episode, IIRC) episodes.

It's one of the better war documentaries, for sure. Very moving too.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    as the BBC showed heavily edited (down to 1 hour per episode, IIRC) episodes.

Bastards! I didn't know that....I might get the DVD set.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    the ken Burns docu was excellent, managing to be both factual and emotional at the same time. The bit that really got me was when tricky dicky walked away from the negotiation table cos he didn't want to lose face on the international stage. How many young men (and civilians) had their lives taken away for a politicians ego? So sad.
    I guess that is why I am so opposed to conscription, it's much harder for corrupt politicians to fight wars if they don't have a large supply of cannon fodder to die for them.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PaulWarningPaulWarning Frets: 906
    VimFuego said:
    the ken Burns docu was excellent, managing to be both factual and emotional at the same time. The bit that really got me was when tricky dicky walked away from the negotiation table cos he didn't want to lose face on the international stage. How many young men (and civilians) had their lives taken away for a politicians ego? So sad.
    I guess that is why I am so opposed to conscription, it's much harder for corrupt politicians to fight wars if they don't have a large supply of cannon fodder to die for them.
    I watched the ken burns doc and it struck me what a complete bastard Nixon was, stitched up the negotiations just to further his political career
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Right, ordered a book about Vietnam for my  Kindle app. I shall absorb knowledge by osmosis when I pick my ipad up. Hope to eventually read it when I go to Belgium in October.  
    I don't remember all the authors but book titles: Michael Herr Despatches, Caputo A Rumor of War (memorable chapter title "Officer in Charge of the Dead"), The 13th Valley, We Were Soldiers (don't judge it by the film), Chickenhawk.

Apocalypse Now is genius but not ostensibly about the Vietnam War.