Advice from acoustic builders, please.

Greetings folks,
I am looking for a bit of advice on the 2nd of my 2 projects, and it's a bit specific to acoustic construction.
I am going to have a go at building a multi-neck ukulele. Please dont ask about the merits of the idea :)
Ive a couple of ukes and an acoustic guitar under my belt, so i'm happy with most of the details. However i don't really know how to attack the top bracing. Any thoughts? X-brace with a little extra support somewhere? Fan brace? Thicker top? I plan on a single soundhole (but might add extra like Ovation if it seems an idea).
Cheers for any thoughts,

Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543

I wouldn't over think it too much.  Ukes can sound pretty nice with a simple ladder brace so it will be hard to go wrong.      I would probably aim for a main X-brace and whatever seemed right around that

Are you thinking 2 parallel necks or multiple angled necks like a Manzer Pikasso

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Hi WezV,
    Thanks for that - fairly reassuring that im unlikely to go too far wrong. What i am thinking is a concert-scale standard neck, a guitarlele neck and another, possibly 8-string uke neck. All necks parallel. I reckon if i had the skills to accomplish a Manzer-style affair, then i probably wouldnt need to ask! :)

Got until christmas to finish it. Spruce top, hornbeam b&s and not sure for necks. I have some lovely straight grain qs ash and plenty of afromosia, so maybe that. Fretboard? Whatever i have to hand - still got a fair bit of purpleheart that will do nicely.

Cheers,
    Adam
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    X bracing is what i used for 2 acoustic builds so far working from martin and gibson style plans and I'd use it again as I'm no expert
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)