Noise gate?...

What's Hot
SlowclimbSlowclimb Frets: 0
I've spent the last few months building up a decent pedal board, but as you'd expect with more than a few pedals on it now I need to get some kind of noise gate.
I have used a Boss NS2 in the past but looking online the Donner and the Behringer ones get great reviews and as I've spent rather a lot of money already I'm keen to save a bit and they are about a third of the cost of the Boss. I am worried I end up buying cheap buying twice though...
Anybody got any experience of either the Donner or the Behringer?

I have just bought the Donner Trelicopter as trem isnt an effect I use much so thought it was worth a go and I've been really impressed.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

you can pick up a second hand NS2 for £40, posted to your door if you're willing to search about.

Can't speak for all the others, only that the plastic construction of the behringer broke with my heavy ass jumping on it night after night!

I'm a big fan of the NS-2. Its not perfect, and if I'm feeling particularly picky I can hear the change in tone. But in a band mix the slight tone loss is massively outweighed by the fact that the rig isn't feeding back like a bastard!

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    I messed about with a few cheap models buy ultimately ended up with an ISP Decimator II.

It doesn't mess with my tone at all, gets rid of all my pedal board noise, and does a great job of keeping unwanted feedback at bay.

I think I paid £60 ish for it (2nd hand) on these very forums and I've never once thought of changing it. The mk1 version can pop up even cheaper from time to time but is still a great pedal.

I'll probably use it till either me or the pedal stops working!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Like my NS2 a lot, the only change I notice is the buffer hiking the level a bit probably because of the bunch of pedals ahead of it. Just makes my rig sound better for it, and no issues with noise or sustain trails cut off and suchlike.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    isp decimator is the daddy...i had one for ages when i was running single pedals
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I like the TC sentry a lot .. it works great on my setup
  • I've got the NS-2 and does the job but I do find it colours the tone a bit. Live I use the ISP Decimator, I have 2 of them but only 1 in the actual chain, its the G-string (no jokes please) version which actually doesn't clamp the sustain on your clean channel if you have a 2 channel amp. Does the trick and very transparent. Well worth the money.
  • Owned and sold the MXR smartgate... could not get the threshold right to allow enough sustain.  Now use the ISP Decimator and it is awesome... one knob...so simple... works...get one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom