Epi SG

What's Hot
GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
What's the general consensus on Epi SGs? Upgrades?

I'm gassing again.

Cheers

Al
Never ever bloody anything, ever!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
    I have a G400 I use as a backup. The guitar itself is fine, probably one of my best players, but I've changed all of the guts.
    It sounded ok stock, muddy or warm depending on your point of view.

If you try one in a shop make sure you try it strapped on, the neck-heaviness can be a real issue. I've tried everything, different straps, moving the strap buttons, a heavy brass Bigsby replica etc, and it still pisses me off.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The way the market is you'd be better off spending a bit more for a s/h Gibson SG Special (typically between 400-500 s/h) of even a Standard if you can stretch to around £600.
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Cheers Zen. That's the new plan!!
  • Exactly what I was thinking. By the time you've spend money (which you lose if you sell) on upgrades it'll be almost as much as a S/H Gibson SG.

You can get an SG Faded for £300. Not as pretty maybe but sounds great.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:

If you try one in a shop make sure you try it strapped on, the neck-heaviness can be a real issue.

+1.

Every Epi SG I've ever had or played has been neck heavy, whereas all the Gibsons I've had (6 or 7) haven't.

Then there's the low frets. Get a Gibson. :)

• gilbygilby Frets: 176
    I have the same gas. Most of the eBay offerings are by people expecting nearly new money. Can't get my head around that.
    I'm in agreement with the previous posters and am hunting for used, maybe even stretch to the new SGJ.
    Just need another pay day (or two).
    Just watched an SG standard 2001 go for £600 on crapbay, including Gibson hardcase. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    I haven't played one. But if I was looking at SG's at seriously consider this:
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12081616303588

Go for it!
    Previously known as stevebrum

• Iamnobody said:
    I haven't played one. But if I was looking at SG's at seriously consider this:
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12081616303588

Go for it!
    I'd give that money for one of those. Even the RRP doesn't look bad (but the offer price is better, natch). Mini Humbuckers are all right, a mate has them on his Lester.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • gilby said:
    I have the same gas. Most of the eBay offerings are by people expecting nearly new money. Can't get my head around that.
    I'm in agreement with the previous posters and am hunting for used, maybe even stretch to the new SGJ.
    Just need another pay day (or two).
    If you look at completed listings, you'll see plenty of SG Specials have gone for close to £300, and one lefty mid 70s one sold for £280! Madness!
  • Guitarse;19710" said:
    Just watched an SG standard 2001 go for £600 on crapbay, including Gibson hardcase. 
    I think you'll find one on here for just that price ;-)
  • Agree with most of the comments above, the Epis tend to be neck heavy but generally great playing guitars. I used one for a couple of years fully stock as my main gigging guitar and had no issues. If it's a cheap platform for upgrading, Vintage brand guitars may be worth a look. They can generally be had for £100-150 used, the build quality is probably as good as an Epiphone.

Just had a look Badlydrawn. Very nice! Got lots of music gear on eBay to raise some funds, so if you've still got it in a couple of weeks it's mine! 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4979
    edited August 2013
    Guitarse said:

And the seller will have got a lot less than £600, after handing over 10% or more of that sales price on eBay and PayPal fees etc.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Very true!  :x
  • eBay fees alone are 10%, plus 3.5% or so to PayPal. He'll have cleared about £520.