Thought this would have been very popular?

What's Hot

Hi all,

I just saw this at Coda. I own one, bought new last year from GG, and the guy there also said they weren't particularly popular instruments. I wonder wy that is? I absolutely love mine and have gigged it with great results.

Just a random thought for those in-the-know.

https://www.coda-music.com/martin-gpc35e.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    I'm guessing from the look of it that it's effectively Martin's attempt to make a "Taylor", but most Martin players don't like Taylors, and most Taylor players prefer Taylors, so it's sort of left in the middle with no-one that bothered? 

That's not to say it's not a good guitar - it may well be. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    I'm guessing from the look of it that it's effectively Martin's attempt to make a "Taylor", but most Martin players don't like Taylors, and most Taylor players prefer Taylors, so it's sort of left in the middle with no-one that bothered? 

Spot on I reckon. People who want a cutaway acoustic to plug in either gravitate towards lower price points or Taylor (or both). And meanwhile, few Martin fans with 3 grand to spend on a new guitar are likely to look to a jack-of-all trades type of instrument..they're more likely going to be after one of the trad designs.
  • How interesting. Weirdly that's one of the reasons I gravitated towards it. I wasn't a great fan of the Taylor sound or Expression System and loved the Martin warmth I got from it. It ticked my boxes perfectly lol.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    I recall Martin doing similar maybe 15 years ago when Taylor started getting big. David Gray and Coldplay were *everywhere* with cutaway 000s, which must have sold them a bunch of instruments.

But these days there are loads of aftermarket pickups from the likes of LR Baggs that make onboard electrics a little redundant on higher-end guitars, and I think most have gone back to more trad designs - I've seen D18/28/35s pretty much everywhere in the last few years. They're classics for a reason. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • true - though I like my cutaway lol. That's what put me off those for the most part.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493

It does kind of seem that way, even if Martin have been making 0000 sized (or their M series) guitars for quite a bit of time which seems to be 1977 when the M-36 first came out.  Martin's GP models seem to be taking their 0000 shape towards the Taylor side of things. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Might be interested with a 1 11/16" nut, but not with 1 3/4".

That Aura thing puts me off as well.  If I'm going to have digital technology, I'd rather have it externally.  If you are buying a guitar at this price, you want it to be for life.  You don't really want digital trickery that will be completely obsolete and unfixable in 10 or 12 years time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    If I was getting a Martin, I'd prefer something that looks more like what I would associate with a Martin look personally.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339

Hi all,

I just saw this at Coda. I own one, bought new last year from GG, and the guy there also said they weren't particularly popular instruments. I wonder wy that is? I absolutely love mine and have gigged it with great results.

Just a random thought for those in-the-know.

https://www.coda-music.com/martin-gpc35e.html

I played that one...
    I left Coda with a different acoustic. 

I cant remember anything distinctive about it to be honest. Not to say that someone else wouldn't love it. 

I dont get the school of thought that a Martin has to look like a Martin. Surely how it plays and sounds are the two most import aspects?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    I played a couple of these when they first came out. My impression is it was a stab at Taylor’s market - but that it sounded neither like a Taylor, or a traditional Martin.

As Gibson & Fender repeatedly find - non-traditional designs from ‘heritage’ brands, tend not to do too well - regardless of whether the actual instrument is any good.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    nice little guitar - do u enjoy it ? - if so just get on with what it's for -
    At £2.7K there's a LOT of competition out there for curvy cutaways,- e.g. Furch, Lakewood, Larrivée and so on for 500 - 1000 quid less - but if ya gotta have a Martin - ya gotta pay.
    Did u try 'the competition' before buying. ?