Those electric uv fly killers, do they actually work?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3434
Its that time of year again, do these 40 quid uv zappers actually work?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Ours does. Hundreds of the gits.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27951
    Remember to put a tray underneath - you'll be able to make high-protein Garibaldis. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31458
    Yep, nothing more satisfying than hearing them frying, sometimes for minutes on end. 
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited August 2018
    Insectocuter! Nothing works quite as well as well as these murderous devices! If you can put up with the size these are commercial grade killers that I used to fit into commercial kitchens millions of years ago. Ahh! The utter delight of hearing one in action is a joy to behold! 240 volts and several amps of fresh griddled delight! I miss that noise...... Makes me go all fuzzy....
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3434
    Can anyone recommend a decent but cheap one?
    I found the source of the little shits, outside the conservatory window is , was , a small bush, I bumped my leg off of it and thousands of the little twats swarmed out of it, I shit you not, big as dogs they were! On closer inspection the branches were all covered in white things, like bird poo, my guess is they were feeding off it, anyhow, bush now gone and area sterilised so with a bit of luck ive won half the battle.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11870
    get them off amazon, £20-£25 or so
    get metal cased ones, not plastic
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    edited August 2018
    There was one in the house where I stayed on holiday last month.  There were hundreds of flies, we had it on all week and it didn't kill one of the fuckers.  Even when I caught a couple of flies and threw them at it, nothing happened.

I can't find a picture similar to it, so maybe the manufacturers have gone out of business.  Serves them right.  Bastards.

Edit:  It was similar to this one.  Bloody useless.

Ours does zap at least one a minute when it’s on.

It sounds and smells a bit horrific when it gets a big bluebottle or a moth tho....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    We have one of those tennis racket things. A quid from poundland including batteries and very satisfying when you smack a fly and fry his brain in one hit - they can be tricky buggers to hit mind you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    I bought one of these for a fly problem in my loft and it was brilliant.  Check the size though, it's quite large:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-mank150-electronic-fly-killer-41-5w/82747

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited August 2018
    axisus said:
    We have one of those tennis racket things. A quid from poundland including batteries and very satisfying when you smack a fly and fry his brain in one hit - they can be tricky buggers to hit mind you.
    @axisus -- are you using a two-handed technique?
    This increased my hit rate significantly.  The speed of the swipe is too much for the little buggers... faster than a fly!
    1)  Hold the base of the electric-bat-of-death in your dominant hand and have your thumb ready on the power button...
    2)  Pull the top of the racket back toward you with your other hand (don't touch the wire)-- basically tensioning the racket so it is poised and as soon as you release the top it will spring back to shape...
    3)  Locate fly in peripheral vision and as soon as it's in range and central... let rip:  release the top of the racket and follow through
    4)  RIP fly
    PS  this works especially brilliantly with regular fly swats because you can get more tension and spring on them.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    they work great in horror films and Cohen Bros dramas for that added suspense shot...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"but it's so beautiful"
    play every note as if it were your first
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I used to work in BHS many years ago and they had a couple of the big, commercial ones in the food preparation area. One day a massive hornet flew into it. It was like a barbecue, the smoke!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    We had a big moth go into our last night, made so much smoke it set the fire alarm off!!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3434
    Do they use a lot of electricary?
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    i overheard at the dentist's today that if you kill all the flies in your house, the spiders get so hungry they crawl into your ear while you are alseep and start eating into your brain.

and. other. holes.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    vale said:
    i overheard at the dentist's today that if you kill all the flies in your house, the spiders get so hungry they crawl into your ear while you are alseep and start eating into your brain.

and. other. holes.
    One of our dogs brings small insects into the house “to feed the spiders”

At night, she sits on the bottom of the bed, staring that the spiders and encouraging them to partake in her gifts she has cunningly left on the floor - expecting it to be an easy way to eat them.

She hasn’t realised yet that the spiders are still there and eat her insect gifts when the lights are off, much to her chagrin when she finds them gone in the morning. 

Then again, she likes drinking water out of an old flower pot in the garden so who knows what goes through her mind 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    vale said:

and. other. holes.
    Hang on - did he have a PRS?
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    miserneil said:
    We had a big moth go into our last night, made so much smoke it set the fire alarm off!!
    that's sad. i love moths. they're beautiful. all wrapped up snug in their sparkly golds and bronzes and furs with their fabulous glitterball eyes. i consider them more night butterflies than flies.

and i'll always try to shoo a fly away rather than kill it. i haven't killed a fly for decades and i don't think i have ever killed a moth.

i get the fly hygene thing, they have some dirty habits (natural to them), so makes sense to get them out of your living space. but i don't think moths do the same things. they just eat live small things and little wigglies. so no health risk.

maybe i should fact check myself but them seem clean. and very beautiful. no need to kill them at all.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...