Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Getting rid of chorus and phaser

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I've posted before separately about my relationship with both chorus and phasers. I like them but so rarely use them.

If I got rid of both, what could I replace with? Univibe? I'm sorted for tremolo and don't like flanger but wondering what would suit. Some kind of subtle modulation
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I've recently replaced all my modulation, reverb and delay pedals with two Strymon pedals - Flint and Timeline. There is more than enough modulation available in the Timeline for my needs. I can now also hear my amp! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    edited August 2018
    As I only use one of those effects at a time I wonder if there is one pedal to do it all? Teemolo and reverb are sorted already
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Neunaber Expanse series pedals can have any effect loaded, are small and have presets via the Exp. footswitch.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    Neunaber Expanse series pedals can have any effect loaded, are small and have presets via the Exp. footswitch.
  • Gadget said:
    I have one for reverb already. The exp controller is great but I always like to have reverb on. I use the footswitch for different reverbs, shimmer etc
    Gadget said:
    I have one for reverb already. The exp controller is great but I always like to have reverb on. I use the footswitch for different reverbs, shimmer etc
    You can apparently control more than one Expanse pedal with one EXp., so maybe that'd work?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    If you want one for both, Neo Vent (big one) will do it. Univibe won't

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Much as I hate to say anything buy JHS, the Warbletron might do it
    Univibe instead of phasor
    Vibe instead of chorus.

My one sounded great, but the buld quality wasn't great. Was a few years ago though.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    I love the Neo Vents. I have a Mini Vent (version1) and the full fat Ventilator 2. Just watch the remote switching on the full fat; you can only do fast / slow and brake i.e. you can't bypass although it's quite easy to add a second jack to do that. Mine's stuck to the side with a couple of cable tie mounts.

Both units sound great though.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    What is it about Flange that you don't like? It's the obvious halfway house between phase and chorus. I used a Maxon FL-9 for a while and that could cover chorus, phase and all stops in between. The Boss Hi Band is another flange that does a lighter, airy sound by working an octave up (my secret sauce for bass).
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Have you got a harmonic trem e.g. Flint? I'm not a massive chorus or flanger fan, but just some slight warble/phasing on a trem is really musical and doesn't colour the tone as much.
  • BBBlues said:
    Have you got a harmonic trem e.g. Flint? I'm not a massive chorus or flanger fan, but just some slight warble/phasing on a trem is really musical and doesn't colour the tone as much.
    No. I have a tremolo (Boo Instruments) but not harmonic. 
  • If you're on a budget a Marshall Regenerator might do it.  Has a univibe mode and a chorus mode that sounds like a rotary. Also has standard chorus, flange, phase and a weird step phaser.

The univibe and rotary are the best bits though IMO.

It's a good way to have the basic modulations covered in a small package.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Something like an EQD Grand Orbiter would let you do both Phaser and Vibrato (but not at the same time).

TBH, though, if you don't need them you don't need them. Sell and put the money towards strings/a holiday/a better PSU/something you actually need. You don't *have* to have modulation. 
  • What I find works for me is to modulate my delays.  Many delays can do that these days, you might already own one.  Plus it saves money and an additional press on a foot switch!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    If you don't mind a bit of DIY, I'd recommend the ROG TriVibe.  There are kits available from fuzzdog/pedalparts and there's one on musikding, too.  Can do a subtle vibrato, vibey phasing and chewy rotary/uni-vibe sounds.  None of the settings get crazily OTT, and they're all great, usable, musical sounds.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    Digitech Ventura Vibe...great pedal which chucks out some lovely sounds!
  • Harmonic tremolo is the answer.

...to almost anything.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Harmonic tremolo is the answer.

...to almost anything.
    As a Joey Landreth fan I'm sorely tempted. But which one...?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    univibe