Fender Custom Shop SRV Stevie Ray Vaughan #1 John Cruz Masterbuilt Strat - 65K

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
edited August 2018 in Guitar tFB Trader
Fender Custom Shop SRV Stevie Ray Vaughan #1 John Cruz Masterbuilt Strat   65K - WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  - Discuss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - currently for sale via Reverb and GAK

Something like 6 only ever imported into the UK - around 8K when released - I worked for Academy of Sound at the time, when they released them at the NAMM Show in 2004 - I tried to buy all 6 allocated for the UK, but Fender insisted, quite rightly, 1 each to the first 6 dealers to order - So I acquired 1 and sold it immediately, some way in advance of it actually arriving into stock - 100 made by JC

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    Personally I'd spend the money on a new masterbuilt Strat and have £60k left over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited August 2018
    That picture looks like a photo shopped mock up image.  It doesn’t quite look like a real guitar if this makes sense.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Personally I'd spend the money on a new masterbuilt Strat and have £60k left over.
    funnily enough I have a JC M/Built on order based on this - I asked JC to build the neck and p/ups as per this with a similar seriously aged finish - but regular r/hand trem - They obviously can't do the SRV logo due to IPR of the SRV estate - But essentially as close as we can get right out any IPR issues - All ready on order for over 2 years so who knows when it will dock - probably going to be closer to 8K now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Personally, I'd get an original 60's strat, a P90 50's Les Paul and keep the (considerable) change - or maybe throw in a 60's SG Standard or 335, and still have a lot of change.

Don't understand that price

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Other than the relic’ing and the letters ‘SRV’, what makes it better than any other Masterbuilt Strat?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7131
    What a waste of money.

Bragging rights on SRV forum possibilities, but otherwise it is just a guitar.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Other than the relic’ing and the letters ‘SRV’, what makes it better than any other Masterbuilt Strat?
    the idea of such a 'clone' is that they had the original guitar in front of them - stripped it down and reproduced every detailed, to the nth degree, as per how it was at this point in time

Merit in the original 8K price ticket as all sold instantly world wide - as for 65K then you tell me - I dare say a seller will have a different story

https://reverb.com/uk/item/5881465-gibson-custom-shop-jimmy-page-signed-aged-number-1-one-les-paul-2004-played-by-page-tom-murphy-aged?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpuq-kpPO3AIVCLTtCh2bgAiLEAQYASABEgJPR_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1 -   

similar scenario on the above link for a Jimmy Page LP
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    I'd get nacho to make one up, and buy a small yatch with the rest. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590

That's ludicrous money for a replica guitar.  Even if you had that as disposable, why would you? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445

That's ludicrous money for a replica guitar.  Even if you had that as disposable, why would you? 

If you are a collector, you could probably buy a pre-CBS Strat, and a pre-CBS Tele and have money left over.  Would most likely be a better investment as well.
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    edited August 2018
    Other than the relic’ing and the letters ‘SRV’, what makes it better than any other Masterbuilt Strat?
    the idea of such a 'clone' is that they had the original guitar in front of them - stripped it down and reproduced every detailed, to the nth degree, as per how it was at this point in time

Merit in the original 8K price ticket as all sold instantly world wide - as for 65K then you tell me - I dare say a seller will have a different story

https://reverb.com/uk/item/5881465-gibson-custom-shop-jimmy-page-signed-aged-number-1-one-les-paul-2004-played-by-page-tom-murphy-aged?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpuq-kpPO3AIVCLTtCh2bgAiLEAQYASABEgJPR_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1 -   

similar scenario on the above link for a Jimmy Page LP
    Okay thanks. Yes, £8k maybe then. £65k, nah.
  • Although it is only an asking price? Doesn’t bear any relation to what it’s actually worth. Out of curiosity Mark, if a punter walked into your shop with one of those asking you to sell it for him,what would you be telling him you could realistically get for it? 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    That’s quite possibly the worst relic finish I’ve ever seen! Looks like one of those bodged squiers you see on ebay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    It's rare, and was one of the first tribute style relics they did, iirc. But it also looks awful and will be bought by a "collector" who will probably never play it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    Guitar Avenue have one for a seemingly bargaindacious £35k 
    tFB Trader
    Although it is only an asking price? Doesn’t bear any relation to what it’s actually worth. Out of curiosity Mark, if a punter walked into your shop with one of those asking you to sell it for him,what would you be telling him you could realistically get for it? 
    this is the bit I struggle with now to be honest as I argue with myself am I wrong and out of touch, or are they wrong - I certainly would not be making an offer to buy it from you as

a) do I want to invest so much in one item
    b) might take a long time to sell so a poor return on capital
    c) if you think it is worth X and I offer X less my margin, then you'd probably be pee'd off with my offer, so best not go there

So my best offer would be a potential commission sale - Wouldn't surprise me if that is not the situation with GAK - It certainly is  a case of price and hope - I've seen a similar J Mayer black Strat for sale not to long ago around 20K - Who knows we might all be wrong this SRV Strat sells - My thought pattern is that even 50K would raise similar comments to above and so would 40K

You could argue that the listing at 65K on your site brings fresh promotional advertising and potential traffic and talking point, be it via such forums, twitter, face book etc - And if the dealer has no actual capital tied up in it, then a case of dangle a carrot and see what happens

Not to long ago I sold the John Cruz Gary Moore red Strat - it was discussed on FB at the time regarding the usual topic of is 8K silly price for such a guitar - Not only were all the UK/EU allocations sold within days I had at least another 10 customers ready to buy - So that sold for around 8K instantly and whilst it is expensive for many, you can see a valid price point for such exclusive guitars to appropriate buyers - As these sold so quickly and demand so high, then I would instantly expect any used examples to fetch over 8K and why not - These SRV Strat were 8K 14 years ago - But I'm out of touch if they fetch 65K

So I don't have an answer - If I told you it would fetch 25K you'd walk out muttering they now fetch 65K, or at least fetch an asking price of 65K - Sometimes, such guitar if not sold at 65K, don't get reduced in price, they just go back in a collection as the owner would rather keep it then accept 30/40/50K - same applies to select vintage guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Guitar Avenue have one for a seemingly bargaindacious £35k 
    see they have the Blackie clone as well at £23750

To be truthful such prices are more realsitic for the appropriate market - not saying such amount of money is cheap as to most of us it is not - £23750 and 35K are somewhat more appropriate IMO - Certainly compared to 65K
  • You could buy so much other gear for that. I would rather have some nice pre CBS fenders or some early 50's Gibsons for that money. 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I find that when I find my self thinking - `hmmm - Gibson only want £10k for a nicely aged Les Paul - that`s not too bad....... `I relate it back to what else you can buy for the same money to put it in context.

In the case of a £65k SRV reproduction, for a broadly similar price you could have a Ferrari 612:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/612/ferrari-612-scaglietti-scaglietti/8749352

Or a cottage with 1.5 acres next to Loch Mask for fishing on gig free weekends:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-67422263.html

I know it`s apples and oranges - but you`d have to really, really want the guitar,

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22699
    edited August 2018
    That’s quite possibly the worst relic finish I’ve ever seen! Looks like one of those bodged squiers you see on ebay.

I think when they try to copy the actual wear patterns on a particular guitar - as opposed to just generally beating up a sunburst body and rosewood/maple neck - it always looks fake.  It must be very difficult to batter something... but do it carefully.

The Rory Strats are the same, the bits of remaining paint look like pre-shaped transfers which have been rubbed into place.