N(mini)AD

SeshSesh Frets: 1841
A bit belated, but here's my new  Laney Mini Lionheart ST.

http://i.imgur.com/7QyICkg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wu7qB4Z.jpg

It's a 3 watt stereo amp with two channels.

It's smaller than I expected, but so far I'm pretty impressed. I'm getting a good range of  sounds, especially with my G&L Fallout. The man things I wanted was a grabbable amp that could sound good at low volumes. This does it well. This morning I was playing through it at 7am, everyone else in bed and not disturbed. Perfect.

All the controls work well, but even though I don't have big hands the knobs are a bit close together. The build quality is good, but not perfect, but nothing anywhere near a deal-breaker.

As a £60 amp this sits along side the blackstar fly and boss mini katana. When I compared those two the katana came out on top by far, and the Laney, when compared to the Katana is pretty much equal. The katana has 3 tone pots and 3 channels, compared to the Laney's one tone pot and two channels, but the Laney is a fair bit cheaper and still gives plenty of tonal variation to keep me happy.

One extra thing the Laney has is LSI, a shamanistic addition that allows you to connect to a tablet or phone and use ultimateguitar.com's tonebridge app. This allows you to emulate guitar sounds from 1000's of songs. Fun to play with, but so far the lag caused by Android is annoying. Thankfully, it wasn't a major buying point for me so I don't feel I've lost out if I never use it.

In summary, it's all good and I can finally dropkick my terrible Marshall ms-2 over the neighbour's fence.
Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Yeah I like my supergroup version and its good to hear  they are a similar quality to the katana mini. I take mines to my dads  for jams and play through his melody maker. Sounds great  for that and quiet noodling at night
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5750
    Glad you’re liking yours. I think the thing that tips in over the line to be a winner for me, is that it’s not generic. Yes it’s small and of course it sounds it but it has a character of its own that I really like. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Hi @kreggs, @dazzajl have you played much with the LSI function yet. As I said above I found it laggy, just wondered how it was for you. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5750
    I’ve not tried it, didn’t actually get the lead in the box and pretty sure I’d never use it. 

You’re certainly not making me feel like I’m missing too much either, which is good :)
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Shame you didn't get the lead. It's only a standard trrs lead ( I think). If you have an iPhone or iPad there is no lag apparently. It's only an android issue. It's worth a play.

Did you get the most important bit? The sheet of Laney stickers!

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Haha yes got my stickers and my lead. Havent got round  to trying the tonebridge  app as my phone is too old to run the app.