Sorted. Fender DRRI Fritz mod

AllthegearNoideaAllthegearNoidea Frets: 293
edited August 2018 in Amps
Hi

Looking for some advice from the fretboard amp gurus. Any experience of the 'fritz' mod. It would seem to be easier and more use than the bright cap mod

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=48201

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=64923

Thanks Jason
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    I find it works well with very little (if any) tonal change to the Normal channel. It’s a popular mod often requested and I can’t think of any amp where I’ve been asked to reverse it.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RiftAmps said:
    I find it works well with very little (if any) tonal change to the Normal channel. It’s a popular mod often requested and I can’t think of any amp where I’ve been asked to reverse it.
    Pm sent
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    I've also done that mod Jason with success, a small blob of hot melt glue on R12 to keep it secure, or you could remove it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    I have to say I don't like this mod. It puts the Normal channel through the reverb mixer stage, including the 3M3 resistor and the 10pF cap (C13), which is the main cause of the harsh fizz when using distortion or fuzz pedals through the Vibrato channel.

In my opinion it's much better to jumper the channels externally with a patch cord. They are out of phase, but that's only a real issue if you have the volumes set similarly - generally you don't want that, you use the Normal channel for the bulk of the sound and add just enough Vibrato channel to get the reverb and tremolo working, with them turned up further than usual.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    I have to say I don't like this mod. It puts the Normal channel through the reverb mixer stage, including the 3M3 resistor and the 10pF cap (C13), which is the main cause of the harsh fizz when using distortion or fuzz pedals through the Vibrato channel.

When I had mine done I did notice that it brightened the normal channel slightly - though nowhere near as much as the vib channel. Then again I found the non- modded normal channel a bit dark previously. For me it’s now at a happy medium of clarity, but maybe the pedals I use are also voiced a bit darker than some.