Dave Grohl to release 23 minute instrumental song.. Video added

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
edited August 2018 in Music tFB Trader

Dave Grohl is hoping to encourage Foo Fighters fans to start making their own music by releasing a 23-minute instrumental track, with him playing seven different instruments.

The track, entitled Play, will arrive alongside a two part mini-documentary a week on Friday (10 August).

Last night, Dave posted a tease (above) of him playing guitar, bass, keys, drums and more - as a modern one-man band - alongside an inspiring message about the joys of challenging yourself to play musical instruments at any age.

It was apparently inspired by the music lessons attended by his two daughters Violet and Harper.

He wrote: "I see these rooms of children pushing themselves to figure this out"

As a 49-year-old man, I’m still trying to figure it out. Always chasing the next challenge, trying to find a way to improve on what you’ve learned

In the accompanying film, Dave interviews young students at the Join The Band music school (where his kids go) in LA, as well as showing different versions of the epic new track.

Grohl, of course, played drums in Nirvana (and occasionally Queens of the Stone Age) before taking on guitar/vocal duties in his new band following the death of singer Kurt Cobain.

In fact he's no stranger to solo recording having played pretty much every instrument on the Foos self-titled debut record in 1995.

Lately, fans have been joining the band on stage at their live gigs to play various instruments and this latest venture looks like a variation on that theme.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just watched it, I enjoyed it despite it not being the most musically interesting thing ever- perhaps unsurprisingly it sounds like an extended Foo Fighters jam. 
    For incredible instrumental rock listen to Pelican, Russian Circles or Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster (Drew of this parish's band).

That said, few things in music make me happier than seeing Dave Grohl drum. He's a monster. 

• I am a big fan of the intent behind this but the song itself did nothing for me. 

Still, if it inspires some kids to pick up some instruments that would be great. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Just watched it, I enjoyed it despite it not being the most musically interesting thing ever- perhaps unsurprisingly it sounds like an extended Foo Fighters jam. 
    For incredible instrumental rock listen to Pelican, Russian Circles or Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster (Drew of this parish's band).

That said, few things in music make me happier than seeing Dave Grohl drum. He's a monster. 

I love Pelican..especiually the first EP 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    That's pretty good .. he should enter the Fretboard Challenge .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2522
    Agree with the comments above, but my 13 year old liked it so it's achieving the goal :)

• Needs more puppets, and he should think about covering Toto's africa.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I think it's interesting how much interest there is in the process these days, vs the finished product. This is a perfect example. If he'd simply put out a 23 minute jam he recorded to be judged on its own merit, I don't think anyone would care and there's certainly no vehicle for promoting something like that. But make it about the process, and suddenly lots of people will watch it to see someone playing, see the studio environment etc. Grohl obviously knows this, he's a shrewd chap.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I watched it earlier on today; I thought it sounded like a good drummer who can play rhythm guitar and borrowed a mate's bass, after listening to a Rush album.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I actually like it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    I enjoyed it a lot. Not something I'm going to listen to often, but a decent rock instrumental. And frankly I'd watch Dave Grohl play drums forever and not get bored.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    prowla said:
    I watched it earlier on today; I thought it sounded like a good drummer who can play rhythm guitar and borrowed a mate's bass, after listening to a Rush album.
    I think Dave would be quite happy with that assessment..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I dont understand the fuss.  Marillion do this every few years and dont get this sort of coverage

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    I like that fact Dave is such a humble guy, drummed in one of favourite ever bands, formed the Foos, and just pushed and pushed.

He's an amazing drummer, brilliant at being the frontman, writes great rock songs, and to top it off he's decent on guitar and bass (but never wants to be shred dude....my kinda player). His vocals are distinct and he can most definitely sing and shout his head off. 

To him it is all about the songs, and how it all fits. Listen to the first Foos album. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Needs more puppets, and he should think about covering Toto's africa.
    And a rabbit suit. Definitely a rabbit suit.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    I quite like it - make me wonder what I would come up with if I had all that gear/studio/time at my disposal.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    prowla said:
    I think Dave would be quite happy with that assessment..
    Cool - I'll add it to the Youtube comments.
  • I like that fact Dave is such a humble guy, drummed in one of favourite ever bands, formed the Foos, and just pushed and pushed.

He's an amazing drummer, brilliant at being the frontman, writes great rock songs, and to top it off he's decent on guitar and bass (but never wants to be shred dude....my kinda player). His vocals are distinct and he can most definitely sing and shout his head off. 

To him it is all about the songs, and how it all fits. Listen to the first Foos album. 
    All admirable stuff...... just a bit dull isnt it though.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I liked it.