Cancelled Sky - so what are the best alternatives?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    fandango said:
    p90fool said:
    Turn it off and do something else? 
    What, like play guitar? You having a larff?  ;)
    You could do the washing up for me, it’s really just the big pan as everything else goes in the dishwasher. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited August 2018
    Humax FVP-5000T 500GB Freeview Play TV Recorder plus Amazon Prime Fire TV and a subscription to Netflix.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    I use Netflix all the time (plus Tvplayer for live shows on freesat), when a season I want to see starts on sky I buy a 3 month pass for 15 quid.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Skipped said:
    5. Watch Youtube.

That’s what I have been using mostly lately.

For me I've been using roughly;

50% YouTube - Produce Like A Pro/Joe Rogan Podcast/X Games/MKBHD/Seth’s Bike Hacks/Phillip McKnight

30% Netflix - Terrace House/Mad Men/Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul/Anthony Bourdain/Last Chance U

20% Amazon Prime Video - The Americans/Red Oaks/Roadies/Bosch/All Or Nothing
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Since we got a smart telly, and thus access to iPlayer and the rest, we haven't recorded anything - we had a Sony HDD recorder but ditched it.

• valevale Frets: 1052
    watch all the pbs eons series. that will take you a month. their channel has been going a whole year now and still amazing fun. kallie is a boss dino-dude. so into it.

pbs spacetime is another from the youtube pbs stable i really like.

pbs eons.

pbs spacetime.

if you are selective youtube is a never ending resource of fascinating things.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    I use Netflix all the time (plus Tvplayer for live shows on freesat), when a season I want to see starts on sky I buy a 3 month pass for 15 quid.
    You can easily get a year for like £18.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Have you tried gardening?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    fandango said:
    p90fool said:
    Turn it off and do something else? 
    What, like play guitar? You having a larff?  ;)
    Well anything really. I mean I understand it when it's pissing down and has been dark since 4pm, but it's August, why would you even go over there and switch it on?

In all seriousness it is a hard habit to break, but if you take a step back and think about it, having 'entertainment' forcibly beamed at you for hours every day while you achieve nothing is a seriously weird way to waste what little time we have here.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited August 2018
    I have netflix (which is worth it), Amazon (via prime, probably wouldn't have it otherwise), BT TV (cheap intro deal, mainly for the champions league) and a humax hd box in another room. I'm spending more on TV than ever but watching it less.

Mainly use netflix and the catch up apps, including YouTube.

Probably wouldn't bother with a dvr now.
    Most modern tv's allow you to plug a hard drive into the back of them if you absolutely must record stuff.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited August 2018
    We watch Now TV more than anything else. £8 a month for the entertainment package. Has some decent Sky originals like Tin Star and Fortitude. Watched all the Tunnel series a while back, currently going through the whole of Game of Thrones again (amazing how much I’d missed first time around),  watched The Sopranos again before that. My wife likes all the various artist of the year programs (I can’t stand Frank Skinner so don’t watch it). Walking Dead is back soon. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
     Staying with Sky. BT TV total shit, apart from the Moto GP, all the good channels come in via the Internet, so if you have children playing games online good chance the gaming will slowdown, and you will lose HD TV. Now TV even bigger shit, user interface absolute crap and again, all via the Internet, can't record anything biggest waste of time and money going. 
    Don't know about virgin except most of the people who I know have it, complain about it and eventually give up and go to Sky.
    If you haven't  dumped sky yet. Don't try to get a better deal online or phoning, find one of their sky desks in the shopping centre you get much better deals. I got my sky bill down from £78 to £47 is including all the sports channels, entertainment channels and the new Q box including a mini box to watch in another room.

Interestingly, when I rung at BT to dump them they told me to keep BT sports channels on my sky package will cost me £32 a month, so I told him to poke that as well. A couple of days later got my normal BT phone bill through checking through it and there was a little advertising say did you know you can get BT sports channels with your sky sports package for free for 18 months so that's what I did. 

If you had sky TV for more than 15 years, you can get VIP membership that will reduce your bill considerably, again to get this you need to go to a sky desk in the shopping centre. If you're a VIP member of sky you get all sorts of money saving offers.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Ok, so which Humax Freesat HD Recorder should I buy secondhand off ebay?  And which ones must I avoid?  All advice welcome :)
  • IPTV, Catchup, and Netflix does me
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    An airconditoned bio-dome of some type?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    GO BACK TO SKY!!  ever thing else shit, apart from Netflix

edit sorry I said that already

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Chalky said:
    Ok, so which Humax Freesat HD Recorder should I buy secondhand off ebay?  And which ones must I avoid?  All advice welcome :)
    I find that the BT Branded Humax to be very good. It works off standard aerial but also picks up Internet delivered content (not sure how much BT Platform limits this aspect). It does have Now TV, Amazon apps, does have a HDD - I can record inyernet content delivered via BT Sport. User Interface is pretty quick.

BT Youview+ Set Top Box with Twin HD Freeview and 7 Day Catch Up TV, No Subscription https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ISS61KE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_oauJBb4DFRQSP
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    We've just done exactly that - we had Sky broadband (copper), Sky TV and phone.  I was getting hacked off with the price we were paying (£120 a month or something stupid).

We've just moved to BT fibre broadband, and a BT TV/YouView box.

The good bit - there's actually no TV that I miss.  We have Netflix and Amazon Prime - between those, we've got all the bases covered (and actually we don't watch a whole lot of telly).  Broadband is very fast - there are blips currently, but that's apparently normal in the first few weeks of service.

The bad bit - the YouView interface is no way as intuitive and slick as Sky.  I find the box laggy compared to Sky, although the latest UI update from Sky was awful and slowed it down enormously. 

Also - BT customer service is utter shite.  Their marketing misled me about the TV packages that I'd be subscribed to (they practically admitted to me on one of the 5 conversations/chats I've had with them over the last few weeks).  It was so poor that I was tempted to just ditch them for Sky based on customer service alone, particularly as Sky were going to slash the cost of TV for me.

But... I'm glad I've stuck with them.  If you can't justify the premium TV service that Sky is - we as a family couldn't - BT/Netflix/Amazon is a decent alternative.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Get a life?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I had Amazon Prime for a while, but I only watched The Grand Tour, so I ditched it once I'd seen them all.