Mesa boogie fillmore

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
Even in a youtube clip this sounds amazing...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Tempting. Nice feature set, and reasonably priced over the pond. Certain to be egregiously overpriced with the 50% UK mark up though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Yep. Will be hugely expensive over here. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    £2200 combo, £1900 head
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited August 2018
    It does sound good in the demo. I’ve often wondered why there weren’t more multichannel amps with identical channels, so this feature set—with less complexity than most other Mesas, but still flexible—is quite appealing to me. Since the Mesa webpage denotes the “Fillmore Series,” presumably we can expect other power configurations (maybe a 2xEL84, since this seems to occupy the space left by the discontinuation of the Express line?) in the future. And amusingly, the Fillmore amp doesn’t include one of Mesa’s Fillmore speakers—the combo and cabinets have C90s.

It will be interesting to learn more about the circuit. The manual (Mesa puffery at its best) says that "[w]hile the architecture of the Fillmore’s preamp leans toward the more throaty voice and easier to clip ‘Tweed’ circuits of the 1950s, we’ve managed to get the lower half of the CLEAN Mode to behave more like a 1960s circuit associated with the Blackface side of California’s long-adored amplifier heritage”; that “DRIVE picks up where the CLEAN Mode tops out (actually a little before) and goes almost up to ‘high gain’ as can be found in the middle region of the HI Mode,” and of HI that “Its whole purpose and sonic signature pays homage to the very best of the late 70s/early 80s Crunch Rhythm and Lead sounds used on so many records. It rides the line beautifully between those created by us at MESA/Boogie back in the day and those produced by the classic Brit amps popular in that era. Circuit-wise HI is all American, remaining closer to the wonderful tweed covered amps hailing from California in the 50s.”
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Love this new demo by Andy Timmons.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    So it doesnt djent?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    So it doesnt djent?
    I'm sure with a Boss HM2 in the front it would get you there.. .....
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited August 2018
    So it doesnt djent?
    Try this forum for that question
    https://www.metalguitarist.org/

Or try one of these

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    This amp looks great on the surface, flexible but with not too many options, relatively light weight. Shame the many of the clips are drenched in delay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    Mesa/Boogie does always sound great at least the few I have experienced and I still love my Quad preamp. Talking about a tube monster classic with tons of tones to find. From clean to old Metallca it's there in spades.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Well I bought one yesterday, and so far I think it sounds absolutely superb!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Wow. You lucky git!

How does it compare to the Helix? ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    So much for the amp clearout, @simonk !
  • Very nice!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    simonk said:

Looks great mate! 
    edited August 2018
    Cheers chaps. My only minor bugbear is the less than plush nature of the supplied slip cover... the plump padded covers of the glory days seem to be over.

Edit: actually, that comes across as a little ungrateful... good on MB for supplying a cover with their amps when so many don’t.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    @simonk What does this amp sound like on the clean/drive/high settings? Is it tweedy?
    @Lebarque  spent most of my time on the ‘clean’ so far... gain low, mids low: blackface, gain up, mids up: tweedy. There’s plenty of gain to be had in the clean setting alone... observe at the 2 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/s3mPpdsTnks
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    simonk said:

Was it part of the plan selling the Lazy J to fund the Fillmore? Just interested as looking to move from a King Snake to a Lazy J......

• Anyone else tried these to comment. I'm gassing. Does it do the Santana lead sound thingy?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922