PC gamers of the forum

rightly, I am not 100% versed on PC gaming but no dummy either,  I have treated myself to an pretty decent MSI Aegis w/ GTX 1070 Armor OC graphics.. doesn’t come til next week.

it comes with a SSD and storage drive, all I have experienced before with multiple drives is my AW laptop but that was set up with 2 SSDs.

lets take Steam as an example, do I install Steam onto the SSD and then tell Steam to install the games on storage drive or install Steam and games onto storage..

I also have a spare 250gb SSD that I will probably put straight in.. will it be best then to leave base SSD as OS then install Steam(and other progs, Origin, UPlay etc...) onto 250gb SSD and then games onto storage drive?

Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I install steam on the same drive as the os, and then the games on a seperate ssd, you really need to get an oculus rift now you have a 1070
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I'd use the spare SSD specifically for games data - should drastically improve load times over using the HDD. If you have finished a game but don't want to uninstall you can easily move it to the HDD to free up space on the SSD.

Steam etc would be fine on either the OS drive or the HDD.
  • you really need to get an oculus rift now you have a 1070
    Its on Santa’s list, my lad has an AW Aurora R7 w/ 1060 6gb so it will be a joint pressie.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I have the rift, you will never want to game on a monitor again lol 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4487
    I have Steam on my storage drive (HDD) - but that's only because, when I installed it, it didn't support multiple games libraries.  If I were installing from scratch, I'd put it on the OS drive, and use the HDD for bulk storage.  Steam now makes it easy to move games back and forth between drives, so if you have a second SSD, use it for whatever you're playing atm to speed up load times as @RedRabbit says.

IIRC, Origin's games library defaults to the C: drive (or at least it used to; it's been ages since I installed it), so install the program to the OS drive, then check the settings before downloading any games.

And received wisdom is that the correct install location for UPlay is nowhere near your PC.  ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Well a couple of days in and loving the power of the 1070 Armor OC, the latest Doom is absolutely phenomenal on it as is everything else I am throwing at it..

slapping in my spare 250gb SSD was a ball ache tho.... slide top off, slide SSD into spare slot, slide top back on...  B)
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Try the vive before rift. I've used both extensively. Controls are better on oculus  but vive beats it otherwise. The pro is also out,, which has dropped the price. Its also got a wireless adaptor coming out soon