VST Plugin Strings (solo , not orchestral or cinematic) for home use?

Hi guys and gals

I've been looking at some plugins for strings just for home use really, home demos that would go online and the likes.
I've listened to some of the free ones, and they sound like synths doing strings, which can be a useful effect, but not what I'm looking for here.
I'm looking for a solo violin and/or solo cello.
A lot of what I have seen so far seems to be aimed at orchestral or professional, so expensive!
I am using Reaper and the free Kontakt player for some things, but anything really. I'm open to suggestions on any reasonably priced violins and cellos.
Thanks guys and gals!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    To be honest, I think that if you want realistic then you need fairly sophisticated sample sets with multiple articulations, which tend to be expensive. Probably even more so for solo sounds than ensemble in order to sound believable.

I'd be interested in any good free or cheap suggestions too though.

Tina Guo cello is great for $99 depending on what you want - isn't good for fast attack, but lovely for slower melodies
  • I suppose I could look for synth cellos / violins that don't sound really "cheap"...
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    You could take a look at the Chris Hein solo stuff. Or Blakus or Emotional Cello... (or pocketBlakus)
  • Thanks. That Blakus cello was just what I was looking for.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    You might find this handy - I went for the Tina Guo in the end, but it was cheaper at the time without the current blakus sale, so might have gone for blakus now instead

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5400
    My favourite ever sampled solo violin is in this library here: http://www.soundsonline.com/gypsy - nothing else seems to have the same vibrancy, to my ears anyway.